PDA

View Full Version : Turning tools from Allen Wrenches

Paul Ray Moore
10-28-2009, 4:28 PM
I've done some searches trying to get more detail on making turning tools from allen wrenches to hollow out small vases but can't get the detail I'm looking for so I figured someone here has done this.

What is the grind angle on the tool?
Do you grind the points off the end of the tool or leave them and just grind the angle back?
On the tool I have, when the wrench is layed on its side the side on the bottom is an edge or isn't a flat side. Is that ok?
I hope this description of what I'm looking for makes sense.
If you have any pictures I would really appreciate it.

Jim Underwood
10-28-2009, 4:49 PM
I've made some of these.

The first thing I'd tell you is to put the thing in a vise about as far as you're going to insert it into a handle. Then heat it below the right angle about as far as your tip sticks out, and bend the tip back until it's almost in line with the part that's still in the vice. This should form a goose neck or question mark shape. You'll want a straight portion to hang over the tool rest a bit so that your axis and tool tip is still supported, and that right angle doesn't have too much leverage.

If you don't do this, then you're going to find out just how much leverage a hollow form can generate when you have that 3/4 or 1 inch right angle tool hanging over the tool rest. It'll twist on you, and perhaps go round and round. Worst case scenario is that it'll grab it and pinch whatever part of your hand between the tool rest and a quickly moving tool...

I learned with blood and tears. I still have a pretty good scar. You can learn from my mistake. :D

I would also grind the bottom flat, because that sharp edge will scar up your tool rest and keep hanging up instead of sliding smoothly across.

Angle? Like a scraper I guess.

Here's a pic of them when I first made 'em. They're now goose necked:

Paul Ray Moore
10-28-2009, 5:20 PM
Thanks Jim. The angle I was talking about was the tip of the tool, so Like a scraper would be 5 to no more than 15 degrees?
On the bend, would the bend cause the tip of the tool to be in line with the center of the handle?

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2009, 11:26 PM
I sharpen mine to the same angle as my scrapers at 20 degrees. They work really well.