PDA

View Full Version : Corian Router Plane

David Gilbert
10-28-2009, 3:21 PM
A couple of weeks ago Jim Hedgpath asked about using Corian to make a scraper plane. This sparked an idea that I could use some of my scrap Corian to make a small router plane. The only problem was the blade and I knew that I would be driving up to Toronto and could visit one of my favorite stores, Lee Valley. I purchased a small router plane blade while I was there and this morning I put the entire plane together.

The plane measures 3 7/8 x 2 7/8 x 1 7/16 inches high. I cut the three pieces on my table saw and drilled the hole in the bottom with a carbide plug cutter (also Lee Valley). The top surface of the Corian was very flat but the bottom needed to be wet sanded with 220 wet-dry paper on my granite flattening block. I hadn’t done much with Corian before and I was surprised how easily I could flatten and sand it. I glued all the pieces together with CA glue. I then drilled the hole to hold the blade and the drilled and tapped the holes for the 1/4-20 screws that hold the blade in place. (I probably only needed one but with two screws the blade doesn’t move at all.) Next I rounded all the edges and sanded all the rough spots. I gave it a quick test and it seems to work pretty well. Now my only issue is to find an effective way to sharpen the blade.

Since this little plane won't be seeing any really hard wear, I'm expecting it to hold up pretty well. Any suggestions for my next Corian tool?

Cheers,
David Gilbert

Wayne Sparkman
10-28-2009, 3:40 PM
I don't know, looks like a lavoratory to me. :D

How about a Krenov type smoother?

David Gendron
10-28-2009, 6:20 PM
I will post pictures of a small "device" i made.

Brian Ashton
10-28-2009, 9:36 PM
I think you maybe on to something.

Ron Petley
10-28-2009, 10:37 PM
David what a singular idea, very smart of you.
I might have a Lee Valley down the street from me but no Corian scraps laying around:mad:.
I use to have a woodworking shop across the street from a Corian counter shop. We would raid each others scrap box, great stuff.
I was thinking a chisel plane for your next project.
Cheers Ron.

David Gendron
10-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Like I said, I made a small sharpening aid to help with the sharpening of my small router plane blade. It conssist of a small piece of scrap 4"x 3/4"x 3/8 with a hole driled at one end for the shaft of the blade to fit into snugly and a beveled at 62 degrees to fit the stone and give the right angle to the blade to be sharpened(hard to explaine with my anglish, hoppe the pictures help!)!

David Gendron
10-28-2009, 10:47 PM
How is corian for ease of work? is it hard on tools?

Keith Outten
10-29-2009, 9:20 AM
David,

Your Corian plane is very slick. In case you don't know, Corian is the material I use more than any other these days.

David G, Corian is much like working with wood. I have found it to be easier on my tools and bits than most wood species. I have router bits that have cut thousands of liner feet of Corian and are still sharp.

Joe McMahon
10-29-2009, 10:09 AM
David, your tool sharpening jig is genius. This belongs on a sticky as it is a keeper!

David Gendron
10-29-2009, 4:35 PM
Thank you Joe, I don't know about genius.... But I,ll take the compliment!

Keith, thank you for the info! How is it for stiffness( at equal tickness and lenght to wood like let say maple)?

Bob Easton
10-29-2009, 6:42 PM
... I cut the three pieces on my table saw ...David Gilbert

It sure looks like a very useful router David, and the idea of Corian is great for those who have access to it.

A question: Since the seams aren't highly visible, what are the three pieces. I can easily see two, and would like to understand why you needed three.

David Gilbert
10-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Dave Gendron, I really like the sharpening jig. I am planning on building one soon.

Corian machines much more easily than I expected. It is really just colored plastic with fillers. I used standard CA glue and it seems to hold up well. It is pretty heavy, similar to some of the tropical woods but I don't think it will be as strong. I wonder if it would sag if it wasn't supported underneath. I think the kitchen guys have all this figured out. I got my samples from a guy who builds kitchens so if you are looking for some you could give some of them a call.

I used three pieces of Corian that were about 7/16 inch thick. One for the bottom and two for the the back support. I have added a quick SketchUp diagram that shows the pieces. The bottom doesn't support the blade at all so I wanted at least two layers above the the base for the 1/4-20 screws to hold the blade stationary.

Cheers,
David

Keith Outten
10-30-2009, 7:10 AM
David,

I think you will find that Corian is probably a bit stiffer than most wood species given the same thickness, width and length. It threads well but you should use course threads or consider installing a brass insert if the part has to be adjusted or disassembled often.

What is really nice about Corian is that humidity is never a factor which makes it perfect for sliding jigs because you can use a very tight fit and paste wax makes it slide like a bearing surface. Call your local distributor, you can purchase 1/4" thick Corian and adhesives without being a certified counter top installer. The adhesive is great for inlay work and it bonds Corian permanently. It also works great for glueing acrylic to Corian.

Bob Easton
10-30-2009, 8:30 AM
... I used three pieces of Corian that were about 7/16 inch thick. One for the bottom and two for the the back support. I have added a quick SketchUp diagram that shows the pieces. The bottom doesn't support the blade at all so I wanted at least two layers above the the base for the 1/4-20 screws to hold the blade stationary. ...

THANKS for the diagram and explanation. That satisfied my curiosity about 3 pieces.

Matt Benton
10-30-2009, 9:23 AM
Let's see...stable, heavier and stiffer than most wood species, easy to machine.

Any reason I shouldn't use corian for a Krenov plane build? If excessive sole wear is an issue, maybe use a hardwood sole (or another manmade material I haven't thought of yet)...

Scott Vincent
10-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Im with you Matt, I had never thought about corian for tools and bases! Maybe a plane...

Brian Kent
10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I definitely think somebody should try the corian plane, just for fun and see what happens.

David, I am going to copy your idea. I made my first "Old Woman's Tooth" a few weeks ago with a hex key for a blade and I was just off on the angle. This would help me touch it up. Thanks.

Brian

Matt Benton
10-30-2009, 1:58 PM
Well, I finally found corian scraps in DFW. Bought about 12 square feet of 1/2" material for $20. Considering how many places I had to call to find it, I was happy to pay.

I've got 4 planes on the horizon (jointer, skew miter, smoother, all Krenov style, as well as David G's great looking router plane).

Anyone have ideas regarding an adhesive for this material? Not sure if a general epoxy (West, etc) would be appropriate.

David Gilbert
10-30-2009, 5:06 PM
Matt, if you flatten the surfaces then you will need only a bit of CA glue. I think that epoxy would work just fine too. You can do an easy experiment with different glues and preps. Keith Outten referenced the glue for Corian. Hopefully Keith can supply some details.

Corian should make a some wonderful planes. I would start with the smoother. A Corian jointer could be really heavy and use a lot of your material.

Cheers,
David

David Gendron
10-30-2009, 5:50 PM
I wonder if it would glue easily to wood? I think that it would make for great plane sole. I think I already asked but does corian is pretty abbresion resistant?
Thanks, this thread is becoming more and more interesting!