PDA

View Full Version : LaserBuzz Fun Project

Tom Buzz Bernard
10-28-2009, 1:00 PM
Each year LaserBuzz gives away one fun project for Christmas, this year we were early because the design can be used for Halloween. This project is a Business card holding Skeleton that has the words “We have cut our Prices to the Bone” inscribed on the bottom. For those who receive our newsletter know I have a since of humor, :) you can always change the wording. Would make a nice product for your local Chiropractor :eek:
Merry Christmas 2009, I hope I made someone smile!:D

Dee Gallo
10-28-2009, 1:13 PM
Thanks, Tom, this looks like a fun project and very generous of you to post it here. Thanks for thinking of us!

cheers, dee

Bob Savage
10-28-2009, 1:49 PM
That's a very cool little project, Tom. Perhaps I'll blow it up to 6' and cut it on the CNC router I'm ordering Friday. ;)

Darryl Hazen
10-28-2009, 1:57 PM
Thanks Buzz !

Stuart Orrell
10-28-2009, 3:03 PM
Thanks Tom!

We'll have some fun with this.

Steve Clarkson
10-28-2009, 3:17 PM
Thanks for sharing that Tom.....I did make it a few days ago. It was a bear to put together the first time, but now that I know how, it only takes about 10 minutes.

Ray Uebner
10-28-2009, 3:46 PM
Thanks Tom again for all you do. It will go over big at my upcoming show.

Tom Buzz Bernard
10-28-2009, 3:48 PM
You are all welcome, for those who may have missed Christmas past.

You can search past threads for other designs.:cool:

Mike Null
10-28-2009, 4:36 PM
Tom

Thanks for the file.

For those who don't know Tom, he's the owner and developer of Lazerbuzz software which has proven to be a moneymaker for a number of SMC members.

http://www.laserbuzz.com/

Barry Clark
10-28-2009, 5:04 PM
Thanks Tom. Very generous of you to share this.

Todd Suire
10-28-2009, 5:14 PM
Thanks Tom,

This is really nice work.

James Rambo
10-28-2009, 6:09 PM
Thanks Tom I think the grandkids would like one for their desks.

Steve Eide
10-28-2009, 9:30 PM
News headlines these days are about greedy business people so it's nice to see just the opposite here on the forum. Thanks Tom

Dennis McGarry
10-28-2009, 9:35 PM
If there is anyone that would like to make one of those for me, PM me please.

I know the perfect person to give it to as a gift!

Kevin Briggs
10-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Buzz - Thanks, I really enjoy making your projects.

donald bugansky
10-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the fun file. What would be the best material to cut this from?

Regards,

Bugs

Steve Clarkson
10-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Well a Hobbyist would use 1/8" baltic birch plywood from Michaels ($5 for a 12"x24" sheet....$3 if you use their weekly coupon).

LMFAO!!!!!! I'm just busting on you Don!!!!!!! I promise not to start calling you "Hobbyist Don"!!!

donald bugansky
10-28-2009, 11:10 PM
No problem Steve.....I'm always up for a good laugh. :)

Tomorrow, I'm going to post some pictures of my setup so EVERYONE will realize I'm just a guy trying to have fun in my shop and if that includes a laser, so be it.

I assume the fact that I bought a 75 watt system may be why folks think I want to go commercial???

Keep the laughs coming as it is always interesting to read your posts!

Leigh Costello
10-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Gonna use one in my friends Halloween "Tunnel of Screams" on Halloween.

Dan Hintz
10-29-2009, 6:39 AM
Tom, just read your recent article in A&E... now I want to attend the class just to hear the stories :)

Tom Buzz Bernard
10-29-2009, 8:11 AM
We always recommend 1/8" Russian Baltic Birch because it is so reasonable in price. Any 1/8” material will work, even MDF or Acrylic. You might find the chin is a tight fit for full .125 (1/8”) stock but it is a simple adjustment (in the design) to accommodate the thicker pieces. Baltic Birch usually runs around .118 -.122, of course a dremel tool will make quick hast to any adjustment:rolleyes:
If you have a problem let me know and we will adjust the design for you.

Gordon Kircher
10-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Thank you Tom for sharing. This looks like fun. :D

Darren Null
10-29-2009, 5:12 PM
Thanks very much.

Michael Kowalczyk
10-30-2009, 3:44 PM
We always recommend 1/8" Russian Baltic Birch because it is so reasonable in price. Any 1/8” material will work, even MDF or Acrylic. You might find the chin is a tight fit for full .125 (1/8”) stock but it is a simple adjustment (in the design) to accommodate the thicker pieces. Baltic Birch usually runs around .118 -.122, of course a dremel tool will make quick hast to any adjustment:rolleyes:
If you have a problem let me know and we will adjust the design for you.

Hey Tom,
I just cut 2 with our 3mm Baltic Birch Ply and they are very loose for us. With a digital micrometer the slots vary between .125" and .129". Our 3mm with no finish specs out around .115" to .119". Could you make one just for 3mm ply so it would have a tighter fit? Thanks!!!!:)

To All that have been Blessed with Tom's generosity and have made one of these. How long did it take? On our Trotec it took 12:14 to cut. Took another 2-3 minutes to take all the parts off and I let my guys try to assemble it wit only the supplied directions and it took over 1/2 an hour at first then I let them see the pic and it was less time. We are going to paint these guys and then reassemble them so they are a tighter fit. Will show pics later.

Tom,
I also changed the colors. For our Trotec, I use Red to mark, Blue to do interior cuts and Desert Blue for perimeter cuts. Some of your colors showed up as only the RGB value. I forgot to try it direct with the new Trotec job control (old habits are hard to overcome sometimes) that would have allowed me to use the black as a cut line instead of engrave only but will try it next time.

Thanks again for your generosity and willingness to share and while you are at it ...

Tom Buzz Bernard
10-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Michael,
Send me an email to buzz@laserbuzz.com and I will send you an adjusted design for your 3mm substrate.

Ray Uebner
10-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Michael,
Do you find the new software to be a little slower than the other, or is it just my computer. I love being able to cut black saves time converting files. I can't wait to see the painted version. Tom is the best, He sure does some nice designes and sure do enjoy doing them and they do sell.
Thanks again Tom for all you do.

Tom Buzz Bernard
11-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Tom is the best, He sure does some nice designes and sure do enjoy doing them and they do sell.

Thanks Ray,
Look forward to seeing you and the Wife in Vegas next year.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-02-2009, 5:37 PM
Michael,
Do you find the new software to be a little slower than the other, or is it just my computer. I love being able to cut black saves time converting files. I can't wait to see the painted version. Tom is the best, He sure does some nice designes and sure do enjoy doing them and they do sell.

Hey Ray,
I know mine loads faster on start up and have had no other issues so far. I will have to try the black for cutting next time. It's just hard to break that habit after 6 years.

Thanks and ...

Margaret Turco
11-05-2009, 3:57 PM
I made one for my dad's surgeon's office and they loved it! Thanks Buzz!

Linda Kroeker
11-05-2009, 3:58 PM
Thank you Tom for sharing...we thought this would go over well at my brother-in-laws coroner office...with their logo on the bottom. Funny thing I was at Michaels looking
for the baltic wood, since the HD 2.7mm birch plywood made it way to loose... and I found a bunch of your projects even the skeleton ready to make packages for like a buck!
How much would something like the skeleton business card holder sell for?
Thanks again for sharing,
Linda

Tim Bateson
11-05-2009, 4:06 PM
Thank you Tom for sharing...we thought this would go over well at my brother-in-laws coroner office...with their logo on the bottom. Funny thing I was at Michaels looking
for the baltic wood, since the HD 2.7mm birch plywood made it way to loose... and I found a bunch of your projects even the skeleton ready to make packages for like a buck!
How much would something like the skeleton business card holder sell for?
Thanks again for sharing,
Linda
Same here. The wood cost me more than that.

Tom Buzz Bernard
11-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi Linda,
With the right wording (I prefer Humor) I think it might sell well. Coroners office might say "We work our fingers to your Bone" or "Internally at your Service" as you see a smile can add to a sale. Price??? Wood cost (1 -12" X 24" sheet at our prices) .70 cents times 1000% markup is $7.00, I think it could sell for more, maybe $12.00+ You are talking about people who have a good pay check and can afford a reasonable return on your effort and personalization. Truthfully I would start at $15.00, that is a decent markup and a good return. Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

Wood is much cheaper in bulk and full sheet size. If you want to buy pre-cut I think Michael at Display Ideas has some of the best prices. He is a member here and gives away a lot of free wood to help this forum. Another good reason to give him a call:)

Before LaserBuzz,
For 17 years we designed die-cuts for L.L. Bean, Delta, Budweiser to name a few and even did over 150 designs as you see made to be cut from wood. When they were originally made in the U.S. the prices were much higher, I am also shocked at how cheap they can get them done overseas. We still do some designing for die cut but when we started doing the designs for Lasers it allowed us to embellish them more, make changes you can never get from a die cut. A good analogy is you can also buy a trophy from places like Wal-Mart for $2.00, but it's not going to be personalized or as good as what you can do in a laser/engraving shop.

No source outside your country can compete with the unique details you can add to a product. Let me add, In this economy where so many are out of work, you still have birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, births, deaths, graduations, holidays, and even promotions that a person will still buy something for (we will still honor a loved one, no matter how tough times get). It may no longer be an expensive gift, but an emotional, meaningful, and personalized product that might bring tears of joy or smiles of laughter. This industry, this business you have chosen can do just that. You can bring tears of JOY and smiles of laughter to the recipent of whatever you make with the right products. You can make changes that are relative to the times, the event, or the moment that is hard to get with a container load of product from China. I think everyone can compete, have fun, and make money with the right products in any economy.

I am putting together another seminar for "Increasing Laser sales in a Slow economy" So please forgive my rant:D

Linda Kroeker
11-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Thank you Tom for your incouraging words and email...I was thinking it wouldn't be a good idea
to make these if you could go and by a set for a buck!
I really like your sayings that you suggested to put on the skeleton for the coroners office.
Appreciate your help,
Linda