PDA

View Full Version : knives for OLD jounter/planer

James Sears
10-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I have a nice old jounter - 1940's or earlier, made in england. No makers name, just a brass plate saying to buy lubricants from a London company.
Problem - it has a 6¼" , 2 knife cutter and there are 2 pins that matching notches on the edge of the blades drop onto. It looks like no alignment, no height adjustment of the blade, just clamp them in and adjust the outfeed table to match. The blades are 1/8 thick. Has anyone seen this before and have any idea where I could find replacements?
Next choice is to remove the pins and use regular blades.

Jim Sears

Myk Rian
10-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Perhaps Charles from Freud will jump in here.
A picture of a knife might help.

Rod Sheridan
10-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Try a company like FS Tools, they should be able to drill the holes for you.......Rod.

James Sears
10-28-2009, 1:10 PM
I don't have the original blades. The last owner cobbled a pair by grinding away at the sides of something else until they cleared the pins. That defeated the what the pins do, these blades had been ground to a 30° edge rather than a 45°. The real knives would have had edge knotches rather than holes.
If anyone is into vintage equipment, I would like to find out the make. I can email a couple of pictures - don't know if I can attach them to a posting.

John Shaffner
10-28-2009, 4:17 PM
James, you may want to try the folks over at OWWM.com. They are quite adept at old iron and have answers for many odd machines.

john