PDA

View Full Version : Another Windows 7 question

dennis thompson
10-28-2009, 10:18 AM
I am far from a computer expert so I asked my computer person what it would cost to upgrade my laptop fron Vista to Windows 7. He estimated from $369 to $609. Obviously I'm not going to do that (I could buy a new computer with windows 7 on it,for that). Given that I have little computer expertise, do you think I can install Widows 7 myself?
Thanks
Dennis

Dennis McGarry
10-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes,

If the laptop is currently running vista, then it will take 7 with out a problem, (well 99.9% of the time)

Windows 7 is a cake walk install.

Also I HATE tech like that one, he is the reason I have such a hard time getting customers, and the BORG's are raping and killing all. 369.00?

OMG Windows 7 HOME upgrade 114.00, Profession upgrade 189.00 How much labor does this fool charge!

I charge a flat 50.00 bucks for a install plus cost of o/s fwiw..

Greg Peterson
10-28-2009, 11:24 AM
The process of replacing (upgrade or fresh install) the existing OS is not much different than installing a program. That said, there are far more considerations to weigh when replacing an existing OS.

When possible, a fresh install is best practice. What may make this option less desirable would be having to reinstall all of the programs you use. If you don't have than many apps loaded, a fresh install is the way to go. If you have apps that you no longer have the install disks for or are no longer available via download from the Internet, upgrading the OS may be your only option.

Regardless, replacing Vista with 7 (upgrade or fresh install) is not a complicated process. $50 plus license is a very reasonable and fair price. Anything more is gouging in my opinion.

Michael Schapansky
10-28-2009, 2:41 PM
I just installed 7 Monday night. I also upgraded my ram from 2G to 4G. I run several memory hungry apps at the same time and wanted some better speed. The upgrade went very smoothly, though it took about 3 hours. No errors or problems. I'm happy with the switch.
I spent $67.00 for the ram from Crucial and $49.00 for Windows 7 Home premium - I bought it during a special promotion from Amazon in June. Best price I've seen since the launch is $107.00.

Dennis McGarry
10-28-2009, 3:27 PM
I just installed 7 Monday night. I also upgraded my ram from 2G to 4G. I run several memory hungry apps at the same time and wanted some better speed. The upgrade went very smoothly, though it took about 3 hours. No errors or problems. I'm happy with the switch.
I spent $67.00 for the ram from Crucial and $49.00 for Windows 7 Home premium - I bought it during a special promotion from Amazon in June. Best price I've seen since the launch is $107.00.

I can beat that great price.. 32bit and 64bit, Retail Ultimate signiture editon... FREE! Best money I ever spent on MS products

Anthony Scira
10-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Do it yourself. The money you save from that guy, well that guy is a theif !

If it were me I would buy a OEM copy of Win7 and a external 1.5 TB hard drive. Back up all your documents and do a CLEAN install of Win 7.

Just make sure you have any program discs and serial numbers.

Here is a good run through.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/windows_7_install_guide