PDA

View Full Version : cursed anant plane

Zach England
10-28-2009, 9:47 AM
A long time ago I tried to take a cheap route to try hand planes and bought an Anant block plane. Bad idea. I stumbled upon it in a drawer last night and all the bad memories came back. If anyone in the Salt Lake City area wants it they are welcome to come pick it up (I'm in Sugarhouse). I trued the sole to a reasonable degree. The iron will need work. It has been replaced by a far superior specimen and I do not want it hanging around inviting its bad chi. I tried using it as a doorstop, but I stubbed my toe on it.

Someone who actually has skills could probably render it useful. I lack both the knowledge and inclination. If I don't hear from anyone in the next couple of days on craigslist it goes.

Hopefully this is allowed and is not considered "for sale" since I want no money--only the kind service of exorcising this little jinn.

george wilson
10-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Anant plane,I curse thee!!!!

Michael Sobik
10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
I curse thee as well! I bought a #4 and and a #6 and never could get them tuned up enough to cut worth anything. My vintage Stanley's were a revelation. I let them rust in my toolbox drawer.

Michael Schwartz
10-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Hate to say it but I have a Stanley 9-1/2 sweetheart that is cursed. no plans to giving it away though...

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-29-2009, 10:54 AM
put it up on the flea bay and make it out to be a rare piece in excellent condition.
Maybe you'll get a bidding war among idiots.

Matt Evans
10-29-2009, 10:27 PM
put it up on the flea bay and make it out to be a rare piece in excellent condition.
Maybe you'll get a bidding war among idiots.

Rather than that, you should list it on Ebay as cursed. It might bring the price up quite a bit. . .

Then, when selling your extra set of vintage Stanleys that work like a dream when you inherit your grandfathers plane collection, you can list them as blessed. . .

People will bid on the oddest things.

Zach, have you thought of making a scrub plane out of it? I find uses for scrub planes of all sizes, particularly reducing edges quickly, and you really need a scrub sized to the work to do so. The nice thing is that Scrub planes aren't hard to make, and very forgiving if you make a mistake.

Don Shirey
11-01-2009, 1:37 AM
I too had a bad experience with an Anant #3. After reading in several places where this wat to be a new and premium line I ordered one. It arrived in due time and on first inspection it looked good, sides were 90 degrees to the bottom. the bottom was flat, the casting was definately heavier than other Indian planes, the blade was reasonable thick and the edge was ground square. Then I tried to move the frog to narrow the opening, what a mess. The frog itself and its mounting surface in the base looked like they had been made by a metal eating beaver. To make a long story short, it was worthless and unrepairable. I intend to mill out the base and use it for the basis of a infill plane. I have since confined my plane purchases to LN and LV.:mad:

Maurice Ungaro
11-01-2009, 5:56 PM
I bought an Anant #5 at Highland, back when they first got them in. All the guys there said that for the money, they were not bad. I got one, and it must have been made when they were trying to impress the market. It's actually good user. Horrible backlash on the adjuster, but what do you want for $35? Not sure I'd put a $35 blade on it, but it's great for doors. Of course, I never fooled myself into thinking that I was getting something for nothing.