PDA

View Full Version : cursed anant plane

Zach England
10-28-2009, 9:43 AM
A long time ago I tried to take a cheap route to try hand planes and bought an Anant block plane. Bad idea. I stumbled upon it in a drawer last night and all the bad memories came back. If anyone in the Salt Lake City area wants it they are welcome to come pick it up (I'm in Sugarhouse). I trued the sole to a reasonable degree. The iron will need work. It has been replaced by a far superior specimen and I do not want it hanging around inviting its bad chi. I tried using it as a doorstop, but I stubbed my toe on it.

Someone who actually has skills could probably render it useful. I lack both the knowledge and inclination. If I don't hear from anyone in the next couple of days on creaigslist it goes.

Hopefully this is allowed and is not considered "for sale" since I want no money--onlythe kind service of making this evil little jinn (no cultural offense intended) disappear.

Zach Dillinger
10-28-2009, 9:49 AM
The first plane I ever bought was an Anant jack plane. I spent about 30 minutes putting a moderate camber on the blade and sharpening the iron. Honestly, it cuts quite well. Perhaps you got a bad one, or more likely, I got a good one.

Zach

Marco Cecala
10-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Cursed and Anat in the same sentence is redundant. I had problems with mine and it sits on a shelf as a lesson in buying cheap tools.

Don C Peterson
10-28-2009, 10:19 AM
My first plane purchase was an Anant too... and I agree that using Anant and cursed in the same sentence is redundant. I was lucky though, my Woodcraft took it back and gave me credit toward a LN #4. I've never even thought of buying another "cheap" plane.

Sam Takeuchi
10-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Same. I started out with Anant No.4 and used it for over a year. I think it's borderline fraud to sell something made so badly.

Doug Shepard
10-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I must have got lucky. I've got an Anant #8 that actually works pretty decent.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=584126&postcount=18

Zach Dillinger
10-28-2009, 10:56 AM
I must have got lucky. I've got an Anant #8 that actually works pretty decent.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=584126&postcount=18

Guess we must have got a decent batch in Michigan... I bought mine from Johnson's Workbench (http://www.theworkbench.com) in Charlotte.

Zach England
10-28-2009, 11:00 AM
My minimal experience tell me that a hand plane is a simple tool made from simple materials, and will generally be as good as the quality and precision of the machining process used to make it. The basic designs are not innovative or patented and are simple to copy. With high quality ones you pay for accurate machining and a good QC process. With cheap ones you save by skipping these. Inevitably a decent one will roll of the assembly line every now and then.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Don C Peterson
10-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Well, I hear that some people really like their Yugos and Trebants too... Maybe it's the luck of the draw?

On mine the frog didn't sit right on the plane so that when the iron contacted the wood it would pivot downward taking a deeper cut than I wanted and making consistent shavings impossible to get.

James Scheffler
10-28-2009, 12:04 PM
The Kamal planes are the "premium" line according to Anant. Are they any better made?

Regardless, I don't think I would buy one because the pricing is similar to vintage Stanleys. (Tool dealer prices, not e-bay, yard sale, etc.) I'm just curious.

Jim