PDA

View Full Version : You Gotta Start Somewhere...

Wade Samuelson
09-26-2004, 2:41 AM
Here it is: My first ever thing I built myself. Thanks to some peer pressure here, accompanied by some very competent instruction, I even managed the rabbets (and acquired my very own dado blade--which I must say is very cool).

So here's me taking a break from drilling the countersinks so wifey can take a pic. It's not a great angle, but she had to stand outside because there wasn't room enough inside for both of us (I hadn't put the table saw away yet).

Now it's project two: a stand for my router table.

sascha gast
09-26-2004, 4:56 AM
this reminds me of how i started 1 1/2 years ago. now i am not sure why i bought all these mobile bases, there is no way i can move the tools out of the way at all. oh well. congratulations

sascha

Tom Hintz
09-26-2004, 5:03 AM
Way to go Wade!
this is a fun hobby that can have actual benefits around the house that can lead to "needing" more tools which has more benefits,,,and tye cycle continues!
Nice work (new or not) on the bench. Keep it up but be safe first. It's easy to get over confident and make a mistake that hurts. Take your time, pay attention to what you are doing and ask questions here. You have lots of experinece available on this and other forums.

Brian Hale
09-26-2004, 7:22 AM
That looks a LOT sturdier that what i try to work on and a good size to boot. The only thing missing is saw dust and glue stains!

Great job!

Brian

Frank Pellow
09-26-2004, 7:32 AM
That looks like sturdy bench that will be put to good use, Wade.

Are any of the wheels lockable?

Rob Russell
09-26-2004, 7:35 AM
Ya know Wade, noone's going to believe you about the SCMS unless youpost a pic of it on your new SCMS station. :D

Nice job onthe bench. Are you going to add on side wings to support stock or just get some stands?

Michael Stafford
09-26-2004, 8:22 AM
In my experience a nice sturdy bench gets more use than anything in the shop. Mine never rest, they're always holding something up, tools, wood, work in progress, and visitors. Always need horizontal surfaces in the shop.

Tyler Howell
09-26-2004, 8:25 AM
You're hooked now wade! No turning back!

Love that drill!:cool:

Jason Tuinstra
09-26-2004, 8:38 AM
Wade, that looks like a nice, sturdy bench. You should be proud!

Kelly C. Hanna
09-26-2004, 9:07 AM
Nice workbench! I need to build one of those when I get this big table out of my shop.

Dennis Peacock
09-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Nice workbench! I need to build one of those when I get this big table out of my shop.

Hey Kelly....I have an idea fer ya.....You don't need to bench. You already GOT one in your shop now....You're just calling it a "table".!!! Wrong word, but the correct style for a decent workbench.!!!! :p :p :eek: :D

Dennis Peacock
09-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Congrats Wade on your first bench and building project. The more you do, the better you'll get AND the "hungrier" you'll get for more difficult tasks to make your skillset grow and improve.

You are correct...!!!! We all have to start somewhere and mine was making an oak nite-stick in highschool on their old delta lathe. I still have it today and it's pitty-full looking...but I made it! :D

Keep it coming bud......You are doing great..!!!

Jim Becker
09-26-2004, 10:44 AM
I don't think a nuclear bomb will knock that baby down, Wade! The construction looks strong and that bench is going to do exactly what you need it to do...provide a sturdy worksurface to work on. Great job!

Wade Samuelson
09-26-2004, 11:41 AM
OK, here's the bench with the SCMS on it. I got the saw from Amazon.com--10" Bosch delivered to my door for $315.00. Yesterday I made a 12" cut through a piece of 3/4" plywood.

I don't think I'm going to put any folding wings on it. There wouldn't be room for them between the wall and the freezer. Yes, the wheels are all lockable.

And if you're wondering why I opted for screws, I tuned in on someone's comment that I might want to disassemble it and take it with me when I move. So that's when I'm planning on doing.

Joseph N. Myers
09-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Wade,

Go job, the 1st of many I'm sure.

Screws or bolts would have worked for if you want to take it apart, its the glue that you have to be concerned about --- glue = no take apart. I stopped using bolts a long time ago and now use screws. I think one of the reasons that back in the "old" days before portable drills, it was easier to bolt everything together than to hand screw everything.

And talking about screwing, if you haven't looked into "square drive screws" yet, do yourself a favor and do. Best place (most popular) is McFeely's, 800-443-7937, www.mcfeelys.com (http://www.mcfeelys.com/). The have one heck of a catalog with tons of information on the what/why/how/etc of screws in addition to other woodworking items. To find out about some of the many benifits, do a search on the forum on "square head".

When you cut something longer than the table, for safety reasons (besides others), you want to support the cutoffs. Supporting cutoffs also goes for other woodworking tools, especially the table saw, DAMHIKT. I build alot of my stuff to be the same height so I can use those for support, and if not, I use a couple of those adjustable roller stands, app. $20.00.

Regards, Joe

Christine Tiede
09-26-2004, 12:10 PM
An awesome piece of work, Wade!! Keep up with that craftsmanship, and you'll be making fine furniture in about 3 months or so!! Good Job!
Christine

Wes Bischel
09-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Wade,

I only wish my first bench looked as good - or my current bench for hat matter :rolleyes:

Nice job, Wes

Greg Tatum
09-26-2004, 6:32 PM
Looks good Wade....that will do you well in this hobby....one suggestion...if you haven't done it already, you need to get a cover plate on that outlet....with all the dust you get with a SCMS it will fill up the box quick and that aint good.

Greg

PS...If you find yourself in Tacoma with some free time just PM me and we could meet.

Herb Blair
09-26-2004, 7:27 PM
Great Job Wade! Looks great. Keep up the good work.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-26-2004, 8:33 PM
Dennis...I can see the original builder of the table having a heart attack right now! :eek: :eek: :eek: I need to get it sold, the client went to NY on business so it's gathering dust. :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
09-27-2004, 3:55 PM
Nice one, Wade! Screws are good...and they won't back out or work out and they make disassembly easy. Wait till you see how I build a wall! :)

Shawn Battagler
09-27-2004, 4:14 PM
Wade, you are really in for it. This is where it begins. In fact your bench looks almost identical to the one I built (my first project as well), except yours looks to be square.

Carole Valentine
09-27-2004, 4:44 PM
Wade, you're starting just like I did and man, are you in trouble!!;) I wanted to build a picnic table and benches (cause I couldn't find ones I liked) so my Mom bought me a Bosch SCMS for my birthday (same one you have.) I built a beautiful table and benches (which 14 months later are warped all to heck because in my ignorance, I used wet pressure treated wood:o ) then I built a bench almost exactly like yours except it didn't have wheels. I was so delighted when those two projects turned out sturdy and SQUARE, that I was hooked. It's been almost a year to the day that I consciously decided that I was going to pursue woodworking and my shop now contains a white oak and maple work bench with two vises (that I built), the original Bosch saw, a PM54A jointer, a Delta 13" planer, a Unisaw, a Delta 16 1/2" drill press, a Delta 14" band saw, a Delta scroll saw, a spindle sander, a PC 890 router in a table and tons of smaller tools both hand and power. Yep, you're in big trouble now!:D