PDA

View Full Version : Wood burning tips

Dave Lehnert
10-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Hello

Will be attending a woodcarving show in a few weeks and hope to pick up a wood burning system.

I am most interested in the Colwood detail master. I have a question about Headpieces. Does only certain brands of headpieces fit the Colwood? If so what fits? Only Colwood brand?
I noticed the Burnmaster will accept any brand. The reason for my question above.

This is the kit I am most interested in. I understand that fix tips are better but thought this would be the best way for me to get a feel for what fix tips I would like to buy later.

http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/store/p/3258-DETAILER-KIT-RTHP-TIPS-CASE-PULLER.html

Any reason not to get the Colwood? What I am interested in but will be open to any brand with the right deal. Better question would be any brand to stay away from?

Mike Minto
10-28-2009, 9:47 AM
just bought a 'detailer' from packard this week, with removable tip handpiece. will report soon as i get it and have the opportunity to use same. mike

Dave Lehnert
10-28-2009, 3:18 PM
just bought a 'detailer' from packard this week, with removable tip handpiece. will report soon as i get it and have the opportunity to use same. mike

Thanks,

Like ti hear any info you can give. The wood show is a little over two weeks away.

Phillip Bogle
10-30-2009, 5:27 PM
I have a Razer SK. It uses wire tips with screw connectors. I have had it for two years now and have no complaints. I find it heats fast, and consistent. I like the fact that tips are cheap and I can make my own. I know nothing about the other units out there, but I know other guys that have this one and they feel the same about their unit.

I suspect that it depends upon the type of art that you are engaged in to make the best choice. I do not make pyrographic renderings, my work is part of my carving and turnings. Right now I am working on some Victorian era wood buttons with burned elements to embellish. I say this to consider that you may have bigger needs than I do. If you are in the same vein as me, then you can feel safe with the Razer line of tools.

Good luck,
Phil

Mike Minto
11-02-2009, 11:24 AM
dave, so far i've only used it to sign a couple of bowls i turned. i find that the unit looks well made (although one of two rivets in the back of the unit just up and fell out when i unpacked it). the removeable tip fit on easily; haven't removed it yet. it heated up very quickly, and the variable temperature did vary the temperature greatly - all the way up to glowing hot tip hot. using a medium heat setting, i was able to handily write my name and burn my little symbol on the bottom of a spalted maple form and a cherry bowl. i'm looking forward to getting more tips and using it to decorate some work in the future. hope this helps, mike

Dave Lehnert
11-02-2009, 9:45 PM
dave, so far i've only used it to sign a couple of bowls i turned. i find that the unit looks well made (although one of two rivets in the back of the unit just up and fell out when i unpacked it). the removeable tip fit on easily; haven't removed it yet. it heated up very quickly, and the variable temperature did vary the temperature greatly - all the way up to glowing hot tip hot. using a medium heat setting, i was able to handily write my name and burn my little symbol on the bottom of a spalted maple form and a cherry bowl. i'm looking forward to getting more tips and using it to decorate some work in the future. hope this helps, mike

Helps a lot. Thanks for taking the time to report back.