PDA

View Full Version : quad karma gloat....

Yitah Wu
10-27-2009, 11:25 PM
I've been an active freecycler locally and in just the past month through local freecycler contacts I have been gifted..

1) Jet 14" open frame bandsaw
2) Delta tenoning jig
3) Jet benchtop mortiser
4) Grizzly 1 hp dust collector

The first three had been stored in a pole barn or something and so had a lot of rust, but nothing naval jelly, steel wool, mineral spirits and motor oil couldn't fix. The band saw lower tire was toast and only one chisel for the mortiser for now. The dust collector had a dead switch which I was able to disassemble and fix. Filled with sawdust as it turns out.

All told, perhaps 8-9 hours worth of elbow grease and $60 for new tires, naval jelly, steel wool, spray paint, conical hones, etc. etc. etc.

In each case the people had seen posts I had made and that had influenced their decision. Totally cool, just have to remap the garage now!

Yitah

Don Orr
10-28-2009, 11:45 AM
That's awesome !

Jim Rimmer
10-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Two questions - 1. What is freecycling? (I think I figured it out but just want to confirm) and 2. Where are the pics?

Scott Hildenbrand
10-28-2009, 1:58 PM
Jim: http://freecycle.org/

I've given away tons of stuff on it.. Including things I THOUGHT were junk.. There's a use for everything, to those who can use it, it seems.