PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Tom Winship
10-27-2009, 9:37 PM
I'm basically a flat work doer, although I have a Jet JWL-1236 lathe that I have made some things between centers.
I'm making some furniture which has shaker peg type drawer pulls. Can someone suggest a chuck that would fit this lathe that would be good for chucking one end only of the peg?
Thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2009, 9:39 PM
Tom,

I had a Jet 1014-VS and used a SuperNova2 on it. When I upgraded to my PM3520B, I bought a different threaded adapter and now use it on my bigger lathe.

Brian Effinger
10-27-2009, 9:46 PM
You can also pick up a Nova midi for $100, or sometimes less. I've used one for quite a while on my Jet mini and really like it.

Brian

David E Keller
10-27-2009, 9:47 PM
Almost any chuck that matches your spindle size/thread would work providing the jaws are small enough to accomodate the base of the peg. I've got a Talon chuck with pin jaws that would do the trick. No personal experience, but Grizzly has some attractively priced chucks and I think there are several turners here who use them.

Mark Hix
10-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I have that lathe and use a Nova midi-chuck. You can get smaller jaws than come with it or you can us a larger blank to hold in the jaws and just turn it to size and part if off.

Tom Winship
10-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I just removed the spur from the headstock on my lathe. The 1/2" chuck on my drill press is the same taper. Would it work to put the DP chuck in the lathe and use that to grip the peg? I can turn the base to 1/2 or 3/8" between centers, then chuck on that to turn the drawer pull.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Tom,

Check you Jacobs chuck. The ones made for use with a headstock on a lathe have a hole drilled into the end of the MT and it's threaded commonly for 1/4-20 bolt. Most turners will take either 1/4-20 bolt or 1/4-20 allthread and make a draw bar that passes through spindle screwing into MT on the Jacobs chuck. At the other end of the allthread, where it comes out of the spindle, you put a nut and washer. This prevents the Jacobs chuck from leaving the spindle while you are turning.

I had this happen when using the Jacobs chuck to turn bottle stoppers. A wing nut, some 1/4-20 allthread, a washer and I didn't have to chase that Jacobs chuck any more!:o

Tom Winship
10-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Tom,

Check you Jacobs chuck. The ones made for use with a headstock on a lathe have a hole drilled into the end of the MT and it's threaded commonly for 1/4-20 bolt. Most turners will take either 1/4-20 bolt or 1/4-20 allthread and make a draw bar that passes through spindle screwing into MT on the Jacobs chuck. At the other end of the allthread, where it comes out of the spindle, you put a nut and washer. This prevents the Jacobs chuck from leaving the spindle while you are turning.

I had this happen when using the Jacobs chuck to turn bottle stoppers. A wing nut, some 1/4-20 allthread, a washer and I didn't have to chase that Jacobs chuck any more!:o
Thanks. I don't think it is tapped but I will double check.

Bob Vavricka
10-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Tom,
I would also think a screw chuck might be one way to do what you want.
(picture attached)

Here is a link I found for instructions for making your own.
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/schuck.shtml

Paul Atkins
10-28-2009, 12:29 PM
A collet chuck is the way to go for something like that. Use a tenon cutter on the end of your blank and you have a solid mounting and a tenon for gluing later. I have a 1"2" #2 Morse collet I use all the time. I have a 3/8" I use for stoppers and knobs. Very simple and no knuckle busting.

David Walser
10-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Now that you've received some good advice, allow me to muddy the water a bit. I'm not sure what the drawer pulls look like, but I suspect you could turn them without using a chuck. (Chucks are relatively new to woodturning; Shaker style drawer pulls are not new.) Here are some options:

You could turn them between centers. Turn the pull to almost finished state before parting it off. Sand and then part off the pull using a skew. You'll be left with just a small nubbin that can be easily removed with sandpaper.
You can turn them using a faceplate. Start your pulls between centers and turn the blank round with a tenon on one end that is 1" in diameter and about 1" long (the dimensions are not critical). Mount a waste block to a face plate. True up the face of the waste block and drill a hole to accept the tenon your turned on your blank. (In my example of a 1" diameter x 1" long tenon, you could use a Forstner bit to drill a 1" hole 1" deep.) Glue the blank into waste block with CA glue and mount the faceplate onto your lathe. You're ready to turn.

Chucks are great. I own several and plan on buying more. Chucks are seldom required.

Good luck!

Tom Winship
10-28-2009, 1:20 PM
I am amazed how you guys are willing to help. I have been turning them between centers, turning a tenon, rounding over the opposite end for the knob, then actually sawing off in the bandsaw, and finishing the knob end in the drill press. I had a bad day yesterday as I was breaking about 2 out of 3. This morning, I have made 3 without breaking any. I think the wood (mesquite) could have been minutely split, which is characteristic of it.
The collet is very interesting as my tenons are 3/8". Who sells collet chucks?
Thanks again, guys.

David Walser
10-28-2009, 1:53 PM
The collet is very interesting as my tenons are 3/8". Who sells collet chucks?

Little Machine Shop sells collets, as do several other stores. Here's a link to Little Machine Shop's 2MT collet set. You can buy just the 3/8" collet, but who wouldn't want an entire set?

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1752

Mark Hix
10-28-2009, 9:12 PM
Tom,

I learn something new every day! Thanks Ken!