PDA

View Full Version : Engravable painted metal sheets

Brent Shugart
10-27-2009, 8:35 PM
Hello all! I'm fairly new to the forum here and have been enjoying reading the many questions and imparted wisdom on the site. (True but you can take it as the butter up for my question if you want.:)) I've got an impending job where my customer is looking for a very large perpetual style plaque with their college color on it. It happens to be a red that is a shade or or so darker than the typical bright red that I've found offered. So I need advice as to where I can find laserable sheet metal coated in color variations other than the standard straight up colors that everyone seems to offer. Is anyone selling these? (Close to the middle of the US where I can over night it or two day it to me?)

Thanks and any help is already appreciated!

Brent

Dan Hintz
10-27-2009, 8:51 PM
I can't think of any place that offers that off of the top of my head... you may have to go custom. It may prove "easier" to purchase aluminum sheet and have a local automotive body shop paint it to the desired color.

Mike Null
10-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Jds and Main Trophy both offer metals that might work.

Brent Shugart
10-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks Mike and Dan! I've looked around at ID Plates, Bur-Lane, Main Trophy, Gravograph, and just checked JDS Industries. Everyone seems to just offer one main shade of each color (so only cherry red) and no variations on that. At least not for laser engraving. If I had the time I think I'd try Dan's suggestion and have some aluminum painted. (Thanks Dan! I grew up around body men and sadly that thought never even crossed my mind.) At this point, I'll just have to hope that my customer is ok with using the cherry red that I can get quickly.

Thanks again!

Tim Baude
10-28-2009, 5:35 AM
Does it have to be metal? Rowmark, IPI, BF Plastics and the such offer many colors in plastic. Either a flexibrass or any thins. I have used this for plaques in the past and had good results. You can even custom cut shapes so less of the tradtional. If the perpetual is for a team, cut the plastic the shape of the mascot or the school letters. Just a thought. BF even does custom colors I believe. Just my 2 cents.
Tim

Mike Null
10-28-2009, 6:52 AM
Brent

Ask these companies to send samples of all their colors. The JDS red is darker than the catalog indicates.

Be aware that on laserable metals, both brass and aluminum, the metal under the lacquer is polished so that it looks bright (and professional) on the plaque or award following laser engraving.

Painting just any aluminum will not produce a usable product and cannot be polished without damaging the lacquer.

Brent Shugart
11-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Ok, I know it's been a while since this thread but I finally got back to it. And thank you all for the help and ideas.

My problem with the custom shapes and such was that I did this project as a sub for another business. They actually had the job sold before I ever saw it so it was fixed as far as what they wanted. Otherwise I'd be all for the custom plastics and mascot shapes and such.

The other business ordered in a sample of a red from JDS and I overnighted one from ID Plates. The JDS one was a chrome metallic red so we went with the ID Plates red instead. And I think it turned out beautifully! I finished and installed it on the second. I'll have to post a pic tonight if I can. The thing is massive! 45" x 44" solid oak. Never made a plaque board for anyone that big before so it's been quite the adventure!

Well, thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more questions. Until then I'll keep reading and learning!

Brent