PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting the point with the spoke pointer?

Josh Bowman
10-27-2009, 8:23 PM
I just got my antique spoke pointer and my hollow auger going. I don't know what the result should look like, nor how hard it should be to use them. I actually find them cumbersome and somewhat labor intensive to use. I would like a few opinions of how well these should work. Both tools are very sharp and I've guessed at their adjustments. Neither produce shavings like a pencil sharpener but kind of grind or cut fibers of the wood off. I've attached some pictures of the results and want some critique. Thanks in advance Josh

Ken Werner
10-27-2009, 9:08 PM
Josh, first of all, welcome to the Creek.
I do get shavings from my spoke pointer that look like a pencil sharpener, and it leaves a smooth surface, and is easy to use. I suggest you check that the projection of the blade is small, and double check if it is really sharp. As in as sharp as a good plane blade or chisel.

Josh Bowman
10-27-2009, 9:32 PM
Josh, first of all, welcome to the Creek.
I do get shavings from my spoke pointer that look like a pencil sharpener, and it leaves a smooth surface, and is easy to use. I suggest you check that the projection of the blade is small, and double check if it is really sharp. As in as sharp as a good plane blade or chisel.

I just got back from the shop and did find the pointers blade was now dull and I did have the projection to far in. I'll resharpen and try again. I'm thinking the projection should be like a finish plane? Where it's just barely in and runs parallel with the cone.

harry strasil
10-27-2009, 11:43 PM
yeah, that's what it looks like, they are not high volume tools. and the harder you push the faster they cut.