phil harold
10-27-2009, 8:21 PM
I am looking for a smaller tool rest 8", 6", or 4" for my nova lathe

any recomendations?

thanks

phil

Brian Effinger
10-27-2009, 8:34 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about Robust tool rests. I plan on getting at least one sometime in the near future.

Brina

Richard Jones
10-27-2009, 8:57 PM
I have a couple of these:

http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/tbarmodtools.html

Rich

alex carey
10-27-2009, 9:05 PM
I don't have any of the tool rests posted by Richard but I do prefer the rounded bars.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2009, 9:09 PM
I have the Robert Sorby modular and enjoy it.

Mark Hubl
10-27-2009, 9:09 PM
I had rounded bars for my mini lathe and liked them. I just upgraded to the Nova and see a Robust in my future. They raffled one off at club the other night (did not win, dxxn) and it looked really nice. Large base for your hand, well finished and a hardened round bar for the lip (should be a lot less maintenance). I got the Nova 4" and it is ok.

Will be shopping for an "S" for bowl making. I bought the Nova, but returned it. It was just very large for what I do.

Steve Speiser
10-27-2009, 9:12 PM
I got a couple of robust rests for my nova DVR , they're great!
Steve

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2009, 9:28 PM
I also have the robust tool rests and they are excellent. No tool drag and you can still get fingers behind them for delicate work like finials.

Allen Neighbors
10-27-2009, 9:30 PM
There's a guy on the Pen Turner Association's forum that makes some nice modular rests from hardened steel. Won't nick. I saw a set my friend purchased from him, and they are really well done! Can't remember his name.

Ryan Baker
10-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Can't beat the Robust comfort rests IMO. For a short rest, you might want the low profile version to be easier to reach your hand around.

I'm not a big fan of round bar rests because they keep the contact point too far away from the work. They tend to be good when you are doing larger work with larger tools. For more intricate work, the Robust type rests seem to work better. Try a few and see what type you prefer.

Bill Bolen
10-28-2009, 12:25 AM
I recently received my Robust curved 12" rest for use on my new Nova. I found it to be first rate and a perfect size for most of my bowls. And the $49 price tag was a nice surprise too. I've asked Santa for the 9" comfort rest. Hope I was a good boy this year...Bill..

Gordon Seto
10-28-2009, 4:42 AM
I have several round tool rests from Best Wood and the Oneway tool rest. They are very good. The Best Wood is slick; Oneway gives better control.
But IMO, the Robust is the next level up; it combines the best of both worlds.

Ernie Kuhn
11-01-2009, 1:55 AM
Phil,
Robust 9" on my NOVA. Will add a couple of other sizes shortly. Best tool rests for the price.
Ernie