PDA

View Full Version : dual spindle shaper question

Tom Rossman
10-27-2009, 6:02 PM
In doing some research on shapers I noticed that some models come in a dual spindle version. What application requires a dual spindle shaper?

John Harden
10-27-2009, 6:30 PM
I would think a production setting where you have two, repetitive set ups. For example, rails and stiles. One spindle set up for each and you never have to change out cutterheads. I've seen photos of shops with multiple, two spindle machines. Makes sense when time is money.

That's my .02

Regards,

John

Mike Heidrick
10-27-2009, 6:38 PM
Matching profile cutters? Clockwise and couter clockwise rotations. Cleaner cuts?

Simon Dupay
10-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Pattern Shaping with a rub collar, each spindle rotates opposite of each other so you always cut with the grain since you can't climb cut on a shaper.

Rick Fisher
10-27-2009, 11:32 PM
I have seen a shaper ( grizzly?) with 3 spindles..

Makes sense it would be for cabinet doors ..

Also nice for T&G ..

J.R. Rutter
10-28-2009, 1:14 AM
Matching profile cutters? Clockwise and counter clockwise rotations. Cleaner cuts?

Yes, like for coping door rails when the sticking profile has been run on a moulder. This is faster and cleaner than using a coped profile backer board. Modern equivalent is a "jump cope" where the parts runs on a linear guide system back into one cutter, then forward into the other cutter that is running in the opposite direction.

Pattern Shaping with a rub collar, each spindle rotates opposite of each other so you always cut with the grain since you can't climb cut on a shaper.

Yes, the big old double shapers like Olivers and Whitneys were used like this. I seem to remember a Grizzly catalog picture showing a pair of their single shapers bolted together at Taylor Guitar for pattern shaping.

I would think a production setting where you have two, repetitive set ups. For example, rails and stiles. One spindle set up for each and you never have to change out cutterheads. I've seen photos of shops with multiple, two spindle machines. Makes sense when time is money.

Yes, you can set the rotation to be anything you like since there are two motors. I've seen guys set them up as a cope and stick station, too. But they are usually so large and heavy though that two separate machines makes more sense unless you happen to have a lot of space and or an old double spindle shaper or two!

Normally, the advantage comes from being able to slide a workpiece from one spindle to the other across the continuous table to shape with the grain using matched counter rotating cutters. The spindles on those old shapers are long with widely spaced precision bearings, often running in an oil bath. Very smooth if things are in good shape.

Rod Sheridan
10-28-2009, 8:33 AM

Simon, your sentence should read "since you can't climb cut on a shaper by hand".

With a power feeder it's often done.......Regards, Rod.

J.R. Rutter
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Simon, your sentence should read "since you can't climb cut on a shaper by hand".

With a power feeder it's often done.......Regards, Rod.

But even with a hefty one-wheeler, I don't think that I would climb cut to a pattern!

Rod Sheridan
10-28-2009, 11:30 AM
But even with a hefty one-wheeler, I don't think that I would climb cut to a pattern!

No. I don't have that much sense of the silly either..........Rod.