PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum

Dean Jones
10-27-2009, 3:37 PM
Hi Guys,

I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a finish carpenter of 25+ years that's just taken up turning. I bought a very cheap lathe, and some very cheap turning tools, (one good bowl gouge) and I've been having a lot of fun. My biggest problem is finding inexpensive stock to turn.
I'm looking forward to being a member of the community here, I've already learned a lot by just reading. I'll post some pic's in the picture section.

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2009, 3:46 PM
Dean - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

On posting photos - if you are talking about the photo galleries - those are for individual contributors. If you want to post photos as part of your post - here are the instructions:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25115

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dan Forman
10-27-2009, 3:46 PM
Looks like I get to be the first to say "Welcome to the Creek". One good way to find turning wood (green) is to start calling tree services, and offer to take some wood off of their hands. Around here, there is more pine and fir than hardwoods, but when I do score, I score big. I usually get one or two other turners to share it with, which also makes it easier to load the big pieces.

Edit: Looks like Steve beat me to it. :)

Dan

Dean Jones
10-27-2009, 4:06 PM
Wow, that was quick. I just went and signed up for a Flickr account, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while anyway. My page address is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/strangerbytheminute/ (Please be kind )
(Stranger by the Minute is my old band name)

As far as wood goes I'm in Seattle. I'll have to call around and see what they're taking down. Thanks for the good advise.

George Morris
10-27-2009, 4:10 PM
Welcome! This is a good group and can offer lots of help. Keep in touch. G

John Keeton
10-27-2009, 4:11 PM
Dean, on the Flicker account, it is better to actually upload pics on to the SMC server as they will be there for the duration. If you reference a pic in a Flicker account, and later close that account, the pic is gone. Other viewers that use SMC for research and to obtain information would not be benefitted. Just a thought.

Dean Jones
10-27-2009, 4:17 PM
Thanks for the info John...

Rick Prosser
10-27-2009, 4:20 PM
Welcome Dean

Some nice stuff in the photos.

Just carry a chainsaw with you, and you will find cheap stock opportunities during your travels ;)

Hilel Salomon
10-27-2009, 4:22 PM
Hey Welcome to the Creek. If you drive around, you'll find more wood than you can handle. When I'm up in forested areas, I sometimes carry a chainsaw to help myself to fallen or cut wood by the road. If you join a local turning club, you'll get lots of notices for free wood as well.
Luck, Hilel.

Dean Jones
10-27-2009, 4:24 PM

Thanks, this should be better.

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2009, 4:35 PM
Dean - very interesting work! Nice combination of woods! Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

alex carey
10-27-2009, 7:55 PM
welcome to the creek, get to a club and contact a tree trimmer.

gary Zimmel
10-27-2009, 7:55 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dean!
Lots of friendly folk here.

Thanks for the pics. Everyone here loves pics...

Ron Lynch
10-27-2009, 8:32 PM
Just a beginner, eh? I'm not sure I believe that. The bowls with the super wide rims are excellent. Did you laminate the rims before or after turning? See how this works, you post pictures and we steal your ideas, pretty cool.

ROY DICK
10-27-2009, 9:07 PM
Dean,
Welcome to the creek. Just starting ey? Give me a break.
Very nice turnings you have there.

Steve, What happened to your hat? Windy day Huh?

Roy

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2009, 9:34 PM
Welcome to SMC Dean. Those are some nice turnings.

David E Keller
10-27-2009, 9:53 PM
Welcome... I too like the contrasting woods, and I love turned palm wood. Pretty tough wood choice for a newbie as every bit of palm I've turned wants to chip and splinter. Thanks for posting and look forward to more of your stuff in the future

Dean Jones
10-29-2009, 9:24 PM
Thanks for all for the kind words. To Ron...I turn the bowl, leave a wide lip and then laminate the rim. I love the look of the Black Palm and that's why I started making the rims wide, to show more of the wood off. I've really enjoyed working with wood all these years and once I learned how to hold the bowl gouge, I really started having fun...I just need to find some cheaper wood to turn....

Jeff Nicol
10-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Dean, Since you have been working with wood for 25 years you already have a good feel for what wood does and how it reacts to things. The bowls are nice and you will continue to improve as time goes by! Where are you located, we can give you better insight to where to find wood that way.

Welcome and hope to see you on the Creek,

Jeff

Ken Glass
10-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Dean,
Welcome to the Creek. You will find some amazing work, advice, information and education here. Everyone is helpful and everyone is welcome. Nice work on your turnings thus far. Woodturning is always a work in progress.

Eugene Wigley
10-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Dean, welcome to the creek. There are a lot of VERY skilled people here. I've been turning for about 11 months now. The people here have really helped me a lot.

Those are some nice pieces you posted. Looks like you are having a good time. Thanks for posting.

Ken Hensley
10-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the Creek and nice turnings.

Ken