PDA

View Full Version : 'Splain this one technology gurus

Belinda Barfield
10-27-2009, 2:33 PM
Never mind . . . seems like it was something as simple as a typo and our 800 number is going out in the texts. At least that is the best guess so far. Sometimes the explanation is just too simple!

About two and a half hours ago my office phone started ringing constantly. Every caller states they had received a text message from my number regarding a job for which they had applied. My office phone is a landline. The main line and two roll over lines have been tied up this entire time with incoming calls. The phone company will call me back within the next four hours to let me know when they will be "repairing" the problem. That really helps me wade through the (currently) 88 voice mails I have, just in case one of them is actually about business.:mad:I have received literally hundreds of calls. The constant ringing of the phone is driving me up the wall!

Anyone have an idea how this could have happened?

Oh, and BTW, when I started asking where and how they had applied for the job the number one response was "I saw the listing on Craig's List.". The second response was Career Builders.

Bill Arnold
10-27-2009, 2:42 PM
Have you checked Craig's List? If there's a bogus ad, have them dump it.

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2009, 2:42 PM
Sounds like a misprint in the craigslist ad. That would have to be majorly annoying!

Mitchell Andrus
10-27-2009, 2:43 PM
"Regarding a job for which they had applied".... Text broadcasts to a discrete list don't just 'happen'. Someone with access to your list of job applicants thought this would be funny or damaging.

The phone company should be able to tell you where the text came from as everything has a 'from' address.

Likely a Craig's list hack/spoof.

Dave Johnson29
10-27-2009, 2:45 PM
Anyone have an idea how this could have happened?

A couple of guesses.

1:
Someone is sending SMS messages to cell phones by computer but using your phone number as the "sender" Either intentionally or another typo.

2:
A typo on Craigslist for the phone number. Do a search and see if you can find your number.

I can't think of any way to stop them unless you can find something on CL to point to the originator. Call them and tell they have screwed up.

Do you know what kind of job? Maybe that will narrow down the CL search.

Belinda Barfield
10-27-2009, 2:51 PM
"Regarding a job for which they had applied".... Text broadcasts to a discrete list don't just 'happen'. Someone with access to your list of job applicants thought this would be funny or damaging.

The phone company should be able to tell you where the text came from as everything has a 'from' address.

Likely a Craig's list hack/spoof.

Mitchell, I have no list of job applicants. This is a private business. My best guess is some sort of hack and we're just the unlucky party.

A couple of guesses.

1:
Someone is sending SMS messages to cell phones by computer but using your phone number as the "sender" Either intentionally or another typo.

2:
A typo on Craigslist for the phone number. Do a search and see if you can find your number.

I can't think of any way to stop them unless you can find something on CL to point to the originator. Call them and tell they have screwed up.

Do you know what kind of job? Maybe that will narrow down the CL search.

Let's see Dave, phone calls from all over the country, and a wide variety of positions to include hotel front desk clerk, window washer, "cleaner", waitress, driver - you name it!

I am known far and wide for my lack of patience. I passed annoyed about two hours ago!

Dave Johnson29
10-27-2009, 3:00 PM
Let's see Dave, phone calls from all over the country

Hmmm, sounds like a cell phone company ooops. Ask the the next few which cell carrier they are using. One or more of their SMS servers may have glitched. See if you can get to the cell company tech support. If it is the server, you will not be alone. :) Small consolation I know.

Belinda Barfield
10-27-2009, 3:10 PM
Hmmm, sounds like a cell phone company ooops. Ask the the next few which cell carrier they are using. One or more of their SMS servers may have glitched. See if you can get to the cell company tech support. If it is the server, you will not be alone. :) Small consolation I know.

So far I have AT&T, Verizon, and some company I can't recall.

Dave Anderson NH
10-27-2009, 3:27 PM
Well Belinda, are the jobs still open?:D

Seriously though, I'm sure it's a royal pain. I'd disconnect the phone for a few hours.

Belinda Barfield
10-27-2009, 3:38 PM
Well Belinda, are the jobs still open?:D

Seriously though, I'm sure it's a royal pain. I'd disconnect the phone for a few hours.

Dave,
The only job position open is mine!!! :D Finally, silence. The phone company's solution was to disconnect my toll free line until Friday, or longer if necessary. So, any clients who call that number will get a message that the number has been disconnected. Good for business, right? I just finished frantically e-mailing everyone I can think of letting them know not to use the toll free number, and why. How much you wanna' bet I overlooked someone very important? :(

I did learn one thing from this experience though. There sure are a lot of folks out there who can't carry on an intelligent phone conversation - even when they are trying to land a job!:eek:

Mitchell Andrus
10-27-2009, 3:41 PM
I did learn one thing from this experience though. There sure are a lot of folks out there who can't carry on an intelligent phone conversation - even when they are trying to land a job!:eek:

Yep. that is so true.

Belinda Barfield
10-27-2009, 5:47 PM
That horrid noise that you hear is the sound of me screaming in utter frustration. My toll free line is to be disconnected before 6 (that's good since it is now 5:39). The current phone greeting clearly and succinctly states that if the caller has received a text message giving the number as a call back number they are to DISREGARD the text message as the number was given out in error. I now have 123 voice mails, and the same people keep calling over and over. Sheesh! No wonder these people are looking for a job.

I'm not making light of how difficult it is for qualified individuals to find employment in these trying times. It just seems to me that if one can't listen to, and comprehend a recorded phone greeting, completing that order at the fast food drive through is going to be a little challenging!

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2009, 5:56 PM
I just opened a beer to help relieve some of your stress!

Ted Calver
10-27-2009, 7:44 PM
Belinda...I'm looking for a job...what was that number??? :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-27-2009, 9:10 PM
I'd plug that number into Google too and see if it's a typo for Psychic hotline or some such.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2009, 9:32 PM

That Steve is always ready to help someone relieve their stress!:rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
10-28-2009, 8:41 AM
And the beat goes on . . . .

Thanks Steve! I know I can always count on you to help out. You might want to go ahead and pop the top on another one because the calls are still coming in this morning.

Belinda...I'm looking for a job...what was that number??? :)

Move to Georgia and you can have my job!

I'd plug that number into Google too and see if it's a typo for Psychic hotline or some such.

LOL . . . try Psychotic hotline . . . I'm about to go over the edge and it's only 8:45. Actually, I'm not even stressed about it. I'm just laughing at the thought of going through my 132 new voice mails. I'm just thinking of it as job security. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-28-2009, 8:48 AM
See what a little popularity can get you Belinda!

I hope they get the problem resolved soon.

Michael Schwartz
10-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Just unplug your phone from the wall and try to get some kind of message up for people who do need to get in touch with you temporarily.

Sounds like somebody sent out the wrong number. I doubt its anything with malicious intent.

Back in the days of dial up internet my friend was setting up his modem and the dialup number was either wrong, or no longer in use and his modem had called somebody's house a few hundred times trying to connect. Needless to say my friend got a very angry phone call from them.