PDA

View Full Version : Advice on yet another workbench top idea

Rick Hubbard
10-27-2009, 1:40 PM
The time has come for a new workbench top, so I’m pondering an idea.

I have a” life-time supply” of finished (edges and one side) oak planks 12 inches wide and 1 7/8 inch thick. The planks themselves are actually edge laminated from random width narrower pieces, not single pieces.

At nearly 2 inches thick, it seems to me they should be plenty thick for a bench top so I am thinking about doweling and gluing three of them together for a top.

Here’s my question, since the planks are already formed from narrow edge-glued strips, will I be fairly safe from having the top warp? I have had three huge piles of these things in my garage for about 4 years and I have yet to see a warped one.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rick

harry strasil
10-27-2009, 6:25 PM
Go For It.

Ron Jones near Indy
10-27-2009, 7:18 PM
I would not hesitate to do that.

John Coloccia
10-27-2009, 7:43 PM
Not to throw water on the idea, but Oak in particular has been known to corrode steel. I forget why but I can only assume it's some sort of out gassing or something like that. Just keep that in mind and be careful with how you outfit it with vices, tool storage, and what you lay on the bench for extended periods of time, i.e. I wouldn't rest my LN no.7 Jointer plane on the bench and forget about it for the weekend.

I hope that doesn't "ruin" it for you, but you at least want to know what you're getting into, and be sure to research it for yourself so you know what needs to be done, and what the limitations are, if any.

harry strasil
10-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Tannic Acid, white oak has a lot of it, that's why bugs don't bother it so bad and it lasts a long time in contact with soil, the original London bridge I believe was made from white oak.

Zach England
10-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Is that why oak leaves take years to compost while leaves from other hardwoods only take a few months?

Tony Bilello
10-28-2009, 12:04 AM
It should work just fine Rick. Im just not sure if dowels would do any good. I personally would leave them out.

John Coloccia
10-28-2009, 1:09 AM
Tannic Acid, white oak has a lot of it, that's why bugs don't bother it so bad and it lasts a long time in contact with soil, the original London bridge I believe was made from white oak.

Ok, yes, that was it. So whatever you do, definately don't store your nice tools on London Bridge. :)

Phil Thien
10-28-2009, 8:23 AM
the original London bridge I believe was made from white oak.

But wasn't the original London bridge falling down...falling down...falling down?