PDA

View Full Version : bowl and mideval candle holders?

Ron Bontz
10-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Well this apparently being the monsoon season and not being able to cut and split firewood or a whole host of out doors things I should be doing, I hid in my little shop working on my lathe, kinda. I just bought a nice 3/4" bowl gouge from Doug and promptly put it in a 20" handle. A scrap piece of hard maple I had. I finished up a 16" dia. simple bowl, spalted maple, and started a couple of candle holders, I think, from scrap walnut laying around. Hmm, what a great way to get rid of scraps. So please excuse my poor picture taking as I wanted to present exhibit A, B, and C. I really do widdle around once in a while.:)

alex carey
10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
nice job with the tool, love the bowl as well, I like the rim especially.

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2009, 1:14 PM
Ron - congrats on your new 3/4" gouge from Doug - I know I love mine!

Very nice bowl! Great form and real clean detail work! Very pretty wood and finish!

Nice work on the set of candle holders! Really look like medieval goblets! Again - nice eye for details!

John Keeton
10-27-2009, 1:32 PM
Ron, I think you just posted that tool to further tempt me on the Thompson tools!!:D

Great work on the bowl and the candle holders - although I agree with Steve that they would make nice goblets!

Hey Steve, nice pic on the updated avatar!!

Ron Bontz
10-27-2009, 1:52 PM
Indeed. I have a couple of his skews on the way. If Doug made a 3/8th thick, 1" radius skew as long as his 1-3/8th skew. I would buy it. I have been using some cheaper turning tools as well as a few Sorby tools. The Sorby tools are nice, but... What a difference. I really don't like having to sharpen much. I would rather spend the time turning. Well back to the vortex castle to finish turning those goblets and rough some more bowls. :)

Dan Forman
10-27-2009, 3:54 PM
Nice work! I envy your scrap pile too.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Ron that bowl is a beauty. I have to agree the Thompson tools are first rate. His bowl and spindle gouges are really nice.

David E Keller
10-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Beautiful bowl but you people are killing me with the tool plugs. I find my self dreaming about Thompson tools while I'm holding my Sorby stuff. It's like I'm cheating on my own tools! Fairly sure the only cure is to buy one the d**n things and start tempting others.

Ryan Baker
10-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Cool goblets. The bowl is nice too. Can I play around in your scrap pile?

Nice drum sander hiding in the background. :)

Ron Bontz
10-28-2009, 4:24 PM
Well I broke one of the goblets with a catch while doing a little hollowing. So I glued the two halves back together, bored some holes for candles and called it a day. Lesson of the day..Hollow the big end first, before turning the little end. My pile of oak fire wood doesn't know it yet but there are a couple of oak goblets hiding in there. Comments welcome. Thanks:)

Chris Stolicky
10-28-2009, 6:25 PM
Beautiful bowl but you people are killing me with the tool plugs. I find my self dreaming about Thompson tools while I'm holding my Sorby stuff. It's like I'm cheating on my own tools! Fairly sure the only cure is to buy one the d**n things and start tempting others.

The problem is that you can't have 'just one.' You'll see. :D

Skip Spaulding
10-28-2009, 7:32 PM
Beautiful bowl, i really like that rim. Gouge and candle holders are also very nice.