PDA

View Full Version : Finish for Nighstand Drawer Interiors

Thomas Pender
10-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I am near finishing a couple of mission QSWO 3 drawer nightstands (with through tenons) for my brother - long story, etc. (Mission finish will have Target EM 6000 satin on outside.) So far everything is looking fine for a Thanksgiving delivery and I have put dewaxed shellac on the drawer sides (20 mm poplar) and the plywood bottoms (1/4" baltic birch ply - maybe it is mm). (Not assembled yet - but the dry fit is fine.)

Anyway, because I want something better than average and resistent to humidity, I want to finish the interior drawers with something really durable. I am thinking about using Rock Hard Varnish or an equivalent. But, I would appreciate some thoughts about whether I am crazy or whether someone has a better idea. (Most people think I should not have agreed to build these mini-dressers in the first place:).) But, I digress.

So, any ideas? Comments?

Thanks.

T

Howard Acheson
10-27-2009, 2:27 PM
I would avoid any oil or oil based finish inside of drawers. Oil based finishes off-gas almost forever. Any cloth or clothing item stored inside will be permeated with the odor. In fact, every time you open the drawer you may get a whiff of the odor.

I would recommend using a shellac, lacquer or a waterborne finish. Any of these should be more than durable enough for a nightstand drawer.

Tom Veatch
10-27-2009, 2:38 PM
Howie + 1.

I used an oil based finish on the inside of some drawers in my shop about 7 years ago. I can still smell it everytime I open one of those drawers. Shellac!

Bill Arnold
10-27-2009, 3:02 PM
+1 for "no oil"!!!

I have used shellac for almost all of the drawers I've done. The only variance is for a few shop drawers where the odor doesn't matter.

USL might be a good option but I haven't used it yet. It has very low odor being a waterborne finish.

Kent A Bathurst
10-27-2009, 3:41 PM
+1 for "no oil"!!!

I have used shellac for almost all of the drawers I've done. The only variance is for a few shop drawers where the odor doesn't matter.

Ditto on "no oil" and "yes shellac"

Except, shellac is so fast drying and easy to use, I grab it for the shop also.

Thomas Pender
10-27-2009, 7:24 PM
To all of you that pointed out I missed the obvious - that oil finishes have odor that sticks around, especially in an enclosed space like a drawer. Sometimes you have to be saved from yourself.

Tom