PDA

View Full Version : Power washer suggestions

Ed O'Neill
10-27-2009, 11:35 AM
My electric power washer just died. Need info from people who use a gas powered unit. I've checked out the Troy built and a few other brands. I need a solid home unit with good power to clean a long driveway and patio plus the usual household stuff. I'd like to stay under $400 if I can. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Chris Tsutsui
10-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Sometimes Sears has close-outs on their previous model pressure washers.

I ended up getting a $399 model for just $130.

It's last season's 2550 PSI gas powered craftsman with easy start.

I've read mixed reviews on the chokeless easystart, but in my experience it has always started on the first pull 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time it starts on the 2nd pull. (It even starts 1st pull if i had to stop the engine and I have to do a hot start)

Then I got one of those turbo nozzles from home depot. It's basically a 0 degree nozzle tip that spins very fast. So you get the cleaning power of a 0 degree tip, with the spread of like a 20 degree tip. I like it a lot and would recommend a turbo nozzle for a driveway.

If I didn't find a clearance one, I would look at the Rigid, Karcher, and even snap-on unit from costco. The Troy-bilt unit looks similar to the craftsman models. Don't they both use briggs and stratton engines? Months ago last season's rigid was on clearance at home Depot for less than $400.

Dave Johnson29
10-27-2009, 2:37 PM
Need info from people who use a gas powered unit.

I have a Northern Tools with Honda motor and triplex pump at 2.5gpm. Their item number 1578172. I have had it for about 6 years and starts first time every time. It has a slightly different cart to the one shown but the engine and the pump are the same.

Very happy with it. IMHO if you are going to buy a pressure washer then 3000psi and 2.5gpm is the base start point.