PDA

View Full Version : Couple weekend gloats.

John Miliunas
09-25-2004, 11:34 PM
First, upon arriving home from work Friday, I found that Brown had stopped by. That's usually a good thing. :) The Porter Cable, DA250B (refurb) I ordered from All Pro Tools on Monday was waiting for me! :D For under $110.00, delivered, I couldn't hardly go wrong and, with all the trim needing replacement in this joint, it'll quickly earn its keep!

Then our local Woodcraft had their annual "show" and Tent Sale. I had previously been granted the show price for the Dewalt SS (earlier post), but couldn't resist stopping to see what else they may have. I picked up three misc. Woodcraft 1/2" shank router bits for $5.00/ea. and just couldn't let a good deal on clamps go without addressing it. Got four more Gross Stabil, 24"-ers for $30.00 a pop. These are the new ones, with the extra "bumper" on the end jaw and reversible, so that you can use them as spreaders, too. Found out something interesting, which I wasn't aware of about the GS bar clamps: When you buy a 12", 18", 24", etc..., you are actually getting clamps with a working distance 2" *longer* than the described clamp! :D That's really kinda' nice, since most OEM's will "round up" to the next higher unit when they label products. Anyhow, the mandatory gloat pics are attached, as well. Thanks for taking a peek! :cool:

Jim Ketron
09-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Nice Gloat John!!
Let me/us know how you like the clamps!
Jim

John Miliunas
09-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Nice Gloat John!!
Let me/us know how you like the clamps!
Jim

Thanks! I can already tell you how I like the clamps, as these are nos. 11-14 of the Gross Stabil's for me! I've got an equal number of K-Body's and a few Jorgy's. When the job calls for clamps and the range is within the GS clamps I have, *THOSE* are the ones I grab first! :) Don't get me wrong...The Bessey's come awful close, but the GS have more jaw area, larger handles and, IMHO, are easier to slide into the clamping range. :) All in all, I'm very satisfied with them. In case you're not aware, they are made in Germany. :cool:

Dick Parr
09-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Congratulations John, it looks like your day was as much fun as mine. :D

Jim Ketron
09-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Thanks John I've had my eyes on them for a while Just didn't know if I should pull the trigger

Jim

Dennis Peacock
09-26-2004, 12:17 AM
Way to go John!!!! Nice snag on the clamps and the nail gun.!!! Who ya gonna shoot them nails at? :p :D

Brad Schmid
09-26-2004, 1:59 AM
Ahhh, gotta love new tools :)

Waymon Campbell
09-26-2004, 7:25 AM
The Porter Cable, DA250B (refurb) I ordered from All Pro Tools on Monday was waiting for me! :D For under $110.00, delivered, I couldn't hardly go wrong and, with all the trim needing replacement in this joint, it'll quickly earn its keep!

John - I won that very same trim nailer at the CSBBQ this year :D . Thank you Steve Clardy for donating that door prize! :) I have already given it some chores to do and it has come thru like a champ and is a nice compliment to my PC brad nailer and PC framing nailer.

Gredo Goldenstein
09-26-2004, 7:25 AM
John-

I love the nail gun! I am going to have to get me one of those one of these days.

Gredo

Kelly C. Hanna
09-26-2004, 9:14 AM
Great score John! I might have to snag one of those guns...I like the clamps, too!

John Miliunas
09-26-2004, 9:35 AM
Thanks guys! :) Yeah, I think I done OK. The clamps may have been a very local special, but the nailer was, as of last night, still on special at All Pro. NO, I am NOT affiliated with them in any way, except that I've snagged a few really, REALLY great deals from those folks! :D When they have specials, particularly on refurbs, I've not been able to find another vendor who beats them! I've always been very satisfied with the results. Sometimes, the shipping takes a wee bit longer than others closer to me and, even though on-line orders require email address, you don't get email updates on the order. You can, however, give them a buzz and they'll give you tracking info for the order. In the end, a lot of bang for your buck! :cool:

Dave Right
09-26-2004, 9:49 AM
Very nice gloat http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif ! It's always great to have that new toy feeling!
Our WW show this next weekend at Fort Wayne and I hope to have a couple
of gloat pictures myself.

Jim Becker
09-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Nice scores, John. You can never have too many clamps, too...even with my rather large collection of Bessey's, I used almost all of them clamping up the panels for the armoire project...all but the 60"-ers. Let us know how you like those bits, too.

John Miliunas
09-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Let us know how you like those bits, too.

Yet another one I can answer "on the fly". These were bits, which I added to, not only my bit collection, but to *other* Woodcraft bits I've previously purchased. No, they're not quite up to par with the Whitesides, Amana's or CMT's, BUT, I believe they offer great value for what amounts to a really nice bit. Fact is, it's a Woodcraft bit, which I used to plow through that 2" thick acrylic a few months back for the bathroom re-do project. And, for $5.00 a crack...Hey, what a ba-a-a-gin! :) :cool:

Brian Hale
09-26-2004, 1:33 PM
Nice Score John!! My clamp collection needs some help and i've been eyeballing them.

BTW, I notice we have the same Bridgewood BW10LTS table saw. Just doesn't get any better does it :D . I have a TS tip for you..... The saw is more comfortable to use if you store those clamps someplace else :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Brian :)

John Miliunas
09-26-2004, 2:18 PM
Nice Score John!! My clamp collection needs some help and i've been eyeballing them.

BTW, I notice we have the same Bridgewood BW10LTS table saw. Just doesn't get any better does it :D . I have a TS tip for you..... The saw is more comfortable to use if you store those clamps someplace else :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Brian :)

Yup, nice clamps AND, that TS is top shelf, as well! :D Yeah, I suppose I should probably put the clamps in the wall rack; A real PITA taking them off whenever I need to adjust the fence! :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Jason Tuinstra
09-26-2004, 4:34 PM
Way to go John! Looks like you've had a good week!