PDA

View Full Version : What I like about turning

Sean Hughto
10-27-2009, 10:29 AM
So I'm pretty new to the vortex, but I feel like Dorothy on the way to Oz. Anyway, one thing I'm finding is nice about turning is that many missteps are either recoverable (design changes), or still leave room for a little fun. Last night I was turning a stool leg. I had just sharpened my tools and the cuts were smooth - things were good (amazing how pleasing just the act of cutting with sharp tools is!). Knowing my shop time was limited, I got a little impatient and took too much off with the roughing gouge in the wrong spot. Now the leg was too narrow in a critical place. So, I just started using the leg to practice rolling beads and such. 5 minutes later I popped this little top off. My daughter thought it was way better than any of my bowls or other stuff! She played with it and played with it until she finally had to go to bed. I love turning.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2505/4048237551_09f5c71637.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Sean - glad to hear your daughter was able to appreciate some of your turnings! I also think turning is a lot of fun and have to admit that I have made some of the most imaginative fire starters I have ever seen! The important thing is to be safe and have fun with it!

Nice looking top! I have yet to turn one of those! Looks pretty cool!

Sean Hughto
10-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Steve. You ought to try a top. It's just plain fun, not to mention super easy and quick.

Ron Bontz
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Indeed, I must agree. I had forgotten how enjoyable it can be. To that end I have spent the better part of the last several very rainy days playing/ umm working on my lathe turning spinny things. Falling deeper into the vortex. My 16 y/o who doesn't like to hang out with dad these days, actually wanted to turn a bit. It was nice spending a little one on one teaching a bit. We both got all wood chippy.:)

alex carey
10-27-2009, 12:19 PM
i think you said what I most agree with, cutting with a sharp tool is SOOOOO pleasing. Love it!!!

Dan Forman
10-27-2009, 4:15 PM
Thata's a nice little top, no need to tell anyone else that was not not what you were aiming at. tops can be mesmerizing, for any age. There is something very calming about spinning a top, at any age. If you haven't done so yet, try spinning it on your palm.

Dan

Hilel Salomon
10-27-2009, 4:18 PM
I HATE TURNING----- that is everything involved except turning. I really don't like sharpening, sanding or finishing (well that's ok I guess), but I wish that I could declare all my turning expenses as medical expenses. Turning is the most therapeutic endeavor I have ever come across.
Nice top. I think I'll try one.
Regards,
Hilel

Richard Jones
10-27-2009, 5:13 PM
Tops are great to turn, good skew and gouge practice, for sure.

I make them all the time, a la Raffan, and put them on our front counter at work. It's very rare for anyone to come in and NOT play with them, ask about them, etc. If I happen to be there and a kid comes in with a parent, he/she usually goes home with a free top (they're $5 for adults :) ). Never seen a kid of any age that wasn't mesmerized by them.

Also a great segway into physics, Newton, etc.

Good work, keep it going.

Rich