PDA

View Full Version : Roof Truss Design Tool?

Peter Meacham
10-27-2009, 8:07 AM
Does Anyone know of a roof truss design tool - this is for a small outbuilding measuring approximately 10' x 12.6'.

Thanks, Pete

Bill Arnold
10-27-2009, 8:47 AM
When I was preparing to do my shop addition and then my utility building, I did some research online and found several sources of information. In my case, I ended up using a local company to build my roof trusses. They charged little more than the materials would have cost me and it saved a lot of time. I attached one of the truss documents I found online. It's not design software but gives an idea of what's involved. There is software available but I haven't tried any of it.

Peter Meacham
10-27-2009, 9:34 AM
Thanks for the info Bill - I am thinking of having Haywood lumber build the trusses. I did make my own trusses on a larger building years ago - but, years ago I was younger...

phil harold
10-27-2009, 9:52 AM
Does Anyone know of a roof truss design tool - this is for a small outbuilding measuring approximately 10' x 12.6'.

Thanks, Pete

For that small of a building just stick frame it (rafters) out of 2x6 on 2' centers
fast and easy
if it is only 12.6 wide you could use 2x4's

or get premade trusses a little wider than the building and add blocking at the heel

Bill Arnold
10-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Peter,

After I got to thinking about the dimensions of your building, I thought you might be able to use some information from the drawings for my utility building. I attached the PDF supplied by the truss company I used. There are two pages: one for the gable trusses and one for the intermediate trusses.

I had them modify their original gable truss layout to work with my end wall layout. I designed my end wall to take one full sheet of HardiPanel across the center with one on each side of it. Studs are on 16" centers. Outside dimensions are 12' x 20'. Trusses are on 24" centers and have a 5/12 pitch.

Let me know if this helps.

Drawing (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=93278&d=1217108625)

Bob Lloyd
10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
I agree with Phil, for something that small I would not bother with trusses.

Paul Atkins
10-28-2009, 12:09 PM
For something that small I would use scissor trusses and you could make them yourself. Plywood gussets and a nailgun with urethane const. adhesive could be stronger than the metal stamped joints. The main thing is headroom and no attic to lose stuff in. Just overbuild it and you'll be fine.