PDA

View Full Version : I'm Upset

Mike Cruz
10-27-2009, 12:34 AM
I've missed 2 things in the last week on CL: a Grizzly 3 HP DC (to replace my Grizzly 2 HP) for about $200; and just now, a 60 gallon/6 HP CH air compressor (to replace my ~30 gallon/5 HP) for $50!!!!!!! Uuuuuuggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Sorry, had to vent.

daniel lane
10-27-2009, 12:42 AM
My sympathies. I've missed some good deals on CL lately, too, so I've started posting for input early enough to hope I can make it. ;)

daniel

Josh Reet
10-27-2009, 1:01 AM
There are a couple "craigslist" alert programs around that will email you when a new item matching your search shows up. I think a SMC member made one the other week. Do a search and the thread should pop up.

I've been using this one on my iphone:

http://www.octopialabs.com/

Cary Falk
10-27-2009, 6:36 AM
I hear ya. I miss a G0453Z 15" planer with spiral cutterhead. Almost brand new and in my backyard for $800. The guy said it sold in 20 minutes.

Roger Newby
10-27-2009, 6:41 AM
Yeah I just missed a 3 HP Rockwell/Delta unisaw for $250.00 by about 15 minutes. Makes ya want to cry.:(

Jeff Sudmeier
10-27-2009, 7:24 AM
I hear ya, I have been looking for a bandsaw forever and keep missing deals!!

Mike Cruz
10-27-2009, 8:21 AM
Quite honestly, I shouldn't be complaining... I am more often than not the guy who GETS the item. But when you are a spoiled little brat and get used to winning, losing really sucks!

Thanks for the understanding, though. I feel a little better now... :)

Off to CL!!!!!!!

Paul Ryan
10-27-2009, 9:05 AM
I missed 2 things yesterday one by 5 minutes. The 1st was a Nice DJ-20 for $500, I would have really liked to own that jointer. The 2nd was a grizzly 24" dual drum sander for $600, another tool I would have enjoyed. But it was not meant to be. If a creeker beat me to either of those. Here is a pre-gloat

You Suck!

Mike Cruz
10-27-2009, 3:25 PM
Okay, maybe I spoke too soon. I thought the guy sold the compressor because he deleted the posting. Out of frustration, I called to see if it had been sold. He said he was waiting for one guy to call back, and another guy kept calling with questions he didn't know the answer to. I told him I could come right over and pick it up...AND DID. It is a CH 60 gallon 6 HP 220 compressor...$40! Okay, it needs a little TLC and I'm not quite sure yet if it even runs. After I clean it up and get a few minor parts, like a belt and a plug, I'll let you know if I got it...it'll be in the gloat section...:D

Mitchell Andrus
10-27-2009, 3:43 PM
Wow. For $40.00 I'd take the chance too.

Mike Cruz
10-27-2009, 6:05 PM
Looking at it, I think I'll easily have $100 in parts... we'll see.

Frank Guerin
10-27-2009, 6:28 PM
The best on Craigs list anywhere around me is a crooked 2x4 at a final price of $10.00 or a bent wrench for $20.00. I posted some antiques on there for 75 percent of a known internet action goes for and not a bite. I think I'm going to try selling rocks.

Anthony Scira
10-28-2009, 10:16 AM
I like the Ebay format better. I don't like the idea of dealing with strangers with cash. Just hear about all the crazy stories, recently a lot of laptop computers people meet in public places and the guy comes in and does a snatch and grab.

I like Paypal, UPS or USPS. :D

And I know my paranoia may be just that. But as I am thinking about it the people selling woodworking tools may be a little diffrent.

Mike Cruz
10-28-2009, 1:45 PM
You know, at first, I was very hesitant to have people over my house to pick things up. And my wife was deathly afraid of me going (alone) to pick something up at someone else's house. But, I have come to realize that most people are, well, okay. I have met an awfully lot of really nice folks. Some a bit slick, but none...let's just say scary. So far, I haven't met anyone I was "afraid" of. Also, I have done transactions here at my house, at other peoples' houses, and in parking lots (public places always seem safe).

Mike Cruz
10-28-2009, 1:51 PM
Oh, and back to the compressor...

So far, after downloading the manual, looking it over, cleaning up the compressor, and looking IT over, I figured out what NEEDED to be purchased and some things that I WANTED to replace. So far (and hopefully TOTALLY), I've ordered $135 worth of parts. My experience with CH, I must say, was quite pleasant. When you need a bolt, it (unlike with Delta) is around a buck. You don't need the part number (unlike with Delta), you just need its number on the "blow up" diagram. Everything went quite smoothly and I look forward to getting the parts on Friday.

So, it looks like the compressor (if all goes well) costs $40 + $150 (parts with expedited shipping) $190. Still a good deal, I think...

Josh Reet
10-28-2009, 1:51 PM
I've not had issues with CL sales either. I'm sure there have been some problems, but that also sounds like one of those things that the media blows way out of proportion. Take reasonable precautions and you should be fine. Bring a buddy, meet in a public place, etc. People have been buying and selling successfully via classified ads for 50-100 years now.