PDA

View Full Version : Laser tube question

Jeff Belany
10-26-2009, 10:50 PM
I have a question for all you Epilog (or others) users out there. I have a 45W Helix that is working fine. But, I'm curious if any of you have gone with a higher wattage tube when it came time to replace your tube? I know it can be done and I was told that it costs an extra (approximately) $2000 for each step up in power (over the price of the original tube.. Seems like a lot. If any of you have done this, was it worth the $$?

Related question (just curious) -- what is the difference in the makeup of tubes of various wattages? In other words what makes a 25W tube different than a 100W tube? Tolerances? Materials? Like I said, just curious.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

donald bugansky
10-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Jeff,

It's my understanding that Epilog and others may have constraints as it relates to using a more powerful laser. This is due to the power supplies provided for the different wattages of the tube.

When I was talking with Epilog, I thought the power supply "change" was around 50 watts which is why the price delta % between the Epilog 50 & 60 watt.

Dan Hintz
10-27-2009, 6:41 AM
The difference in tubes is (mostly) related to cavity length... as wattage goes up, so does tube length, in a roughly 1:1 fashion (until you hit Z-fold configurations and the like). When my 60W goes, I'm considering upgrading to the 75W model, but I'll likely have to upgrade the power supply, too.

Darren Null
10-27-2009, 7:20 AM
1) You -as pointed out above- have to have a compatible power supply
2) You should really stick with a laser from the same maker's range as your existing one; with not too great a power disparity. To quote the guy from Synrad when I was thinking of sticking a sexier laser in..."many have tried, but few have succeeded". Possibly 10W --> 400W is a little extreme, but you have to ask. And I've yet to work out how to mount the laser on a shark....

Frank Corker
10-27-2009, 7:37 AM
I have a 45 watt Helix and considered going for an upgrade should there be a problem with the existing. I would need to change more than just the tube, the motherboard and the powerpack were also on the needed to be changed at the same time list. So, I think I'll stay where I am.

Robert Alexander
10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I have a question for all you Epilog (or others) users out there. I have a 45W Helix that is working fine. But, I'm curious if any of you have gone with a higher wattage tube when it came time to replace your tube? I know it can be done and I was told that it costs an extra (approximately) $2000 for each step up in power (over the price of the original tube.. Seems like a lot. If any of you have done this, was it worth the $$?

Related question (just curious) -- what is the difference in the makeup of tubes of various wattages? In other words what makes a 25W tube different than a 100W tube? Tolerances? Materials? Like I said, just curious.

When I asked my sales rep. about upgrading to a higher wattage when I bought my machine in 2005, a Epilog Helix 45 watt. He said it could not be done. The 25 watt to 45 watt can be done, but the 60 watt and higher powered models are cooled differently than the lower wattage machines. At that time Epilog had a sale going on where you could buy a 45 watt machine for the price of a 35 watt machine.

Jeff Belany
10-27-2009, 8:44 PM
I just bought my Helix from an Epilog dealer and he's the one who gave me the $2000 upgrade cost (just a 'ball park figure) to step up in power. He did mention that if I went all the way to 75W I probably would need a new power supply. Maybe my tube will last forever and I won't have to think about it. LOL

James Stokes
10-28-2009, 7:56 AM
I have a 100 watt Laser that the tube is going out, I checked with Epilog about getting a 120 watt tube and was told I would have to pay the differance from a 100 watt laser and ehe 120 watt laser. They both use the exact same tube but the upgrade added about $7000 to the price of the tube.

Mike Mackenzie
10-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Dan,

FYI, The PLS 4.75 has the correct power supply for the 75 watt tubes.

Hence the "4.75" on the ULS systems the last part of the system number is the capability of what laser tube can be put into it.

Dan Hintz
10-28-2009, 1:41 PM
Mike,

The unit was sold to me as a 4.60, but at the time the 75W was about to be introduced as an option. I asked Paul about it when it was first delivered, and he said the 75W machine is identical to mine (why I initially put 4.75 in my signature)... I cannot say if he considered the power supply in his comparison. Can you verify? For all I know, all machines from that point forward used 75W-capable supplies and I received one of the last units with a 60W-capable supply, but it would be nice to know a simple cartridge change is all that's necessary.

Mike Mackenzie
10-28-2009, 6:57 PM
Dan,

If you PM me the serial number of the system I will check for you.