PDA

View Full Version : Foundation expertise

Rory Talkington
10-26-2009, 9:02 PM
Friends,

These two "holes" in my unfinished basement floor in the bathroom area. Hard green removable plastic covers over an eight inch circular hole. Water in them after a heavy rain. Are they some sort of pressure relief for the foundation?

1. What are they.....their purpose??
2. Can I tile over them? And if so would I need to plug them somehow?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

sean m. titmas
10-26-2009, 9:21 PM
What is inside them?
how deep are they?

Joe Pelonio
10-26-2009, 9:51 PM
Interesting. The green covers are typically used for sprinklers or other utility access, I wonder if there are any wires or valves down there?

Could also be sewer pipe cleanouts, or perhaps were there for possible future addition of a bathroom. Maybe dig down a bit and look for capped pipes.

sean m. titmas
10-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I didnt realize they were in the bathroom area, The plumbers usually rough in the drain lines and leave a hole in the concrete floor for later hook up and trim out of the fixtures. But the location doesn't look to follow the standard offset for the water closet flange. if there is dirt down there than i would dig it out by hand and look for any sewer pipe. If there is pipe or end caps down there and you are not installing any plumbing fixtures at this time than record their location and tile over them. you might want to pack the bottom of the holes with dirt and place about 2" of concrete on the top to fully support the tile.

Brian Effinger
10-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Rory - they could be a sewer clean-out, or a drain tile clean-out. I think it is the later since you said that they fill up after a hard rain. As water comes down the exterior of the foundation wall to the footer, the drain tile will pick it up, bring it through the footer to the interior drain tile and dump it in the sump pit. Over time this system can become clogged with fine silty material and need to be flushed out.

Are these near the exterior foundation wall, and / or near the sump?

Brian

Rory Talkington
10-28-2009, 12:05 AM
The holes are about eight inches deep and have a plastic topped/capped tube in them surrounded by gravel. They are near an external wall and are on the opposite side of the house from the sump. :confused: Also, the sink, shower and toilet are installed nearby.

sean m. titmas
10-28-2009, 12:41 AM
did you ask the plumber, builder or the previous owner what they are for?
we could sit here all night long making assumptions as to their use but ask the man who put them in there and your question will be answered.

Brian Effinger
10-28-2009, 10:04 AM
The holes are about eight inches deep and have a plastic topped/capped tube in them surrounded by gravel. They are near an external wall and are on the opposite side of the house from the sump. :confused: Also, the sink, shower and toilet are installed nearby.
Yeah, I'm thinking draintile cleanouts. The sump would be the cleanout for the other side of the house.

Rory Talkington
10-28-2009, 1:49 PM
Thanks all. Appreciate the insight. :)