PDA

View Full Version : Closing a Path in Corel

Steve Clarkson
10-26-2009, 6:11 PM
OK, this happens to me ALL THE TIME.....and it drives me nuts.

I just imported a dxf file into Corel, and of course every twist and turn is it's own object. I want to fill the letters, but can't until the path is closed......when I click on Arrange|Close Path.....no matter which of the four choices I pick, I get the crazy lines. If I delete them, the path is still not closed and won't fill. I tried zooming in where I thought the open path was and tried connecting the lines....but it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone have an easy solution to close these paths?

I'm attaching it in v10.

Ruben Salcedo
10-26-2009, 6:21 PM
Steve,
just select them and Combine, or short cut Ctrl+L, that's it.

Ruben

Duane Parcells
10-26-2009, 7:21 PM
The paths were closed. This is a common problem with dxf files. I use the smart fill tool and then delete the fill and set the outline to hairline. If smart fill won't work it is always because of an open path. Sometimes you have to add two nodes and then connect them where the break is. Then use smart fill to make a single curve out of your new shape.

Ruben Salcedo
10-26-2009, 7:55 PM
Oops, sorry Steve, I never try filling it, by combining it looks like it is one path but actually is still in segments that need to be joint, so what I did after combining it I select the nodes of every corner and then Joint, by right clicking and select Joint, there a couple that can't be joint this way, for those I just select one of those nodes with the shape tool and pull away then pull back to joint with the other node. Look at the attachment.

Ruben

Steve Clarkson
10-26-2009, 9:45 PM
The paths were closed. This is a common problem with dxf files. I use the smart fill tool and then delete the fill and set the outline to hairline. If smart fill won't work it is always because of an open path. Sometimes you have to add two nodes and then connect them where the break is. Then use smart fill to make a single curve out of your new shape.

Uhhh.....Duane.....why didn't you tell me about the smart fill tool before????? I swear I have never used that before......and now I'm kicking myself!! That was a breeze! And no, those paths were not closed....try filling without using the smartfill tool.

Steve Clarkson
10-26-2009, 9:48 PM
Oops, sorry Steve, I never try filling it, by combining it looks like it is one path but actually is still in segments that need to be joint, so what I did after combining it I select the nodes of every corner and then Joint, by right clicking and select Joint, there a couple that can't be joint this way, for those I just select one of those nodes with the shape tool and pull away then pull back to joint with the other node. Look at the attachment.

Ruben

Hey Ruben, can you save that down in X4......oh, never mind, I forgot.........

I think Duane has the key to solve my problem.....but thanks!

John Noell
10-26-2009, 11:38 PM
...why didn't you tell me about the smart fill tool before?????In the old days (before I "retired" and got way too busy) I would go through each and every tool when earning a new program, at least one time, just to see what they did. Smart fill??? I had to search around just to find it. WOW! What a great tool. Almost as much fun as the virtual segment delete tool!!! I love this forum!