PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw?

steve gard
10-26-2009, 5:59 PM
Anyone have this bandsaw? what do you like/dislike about the saw. How is the fence? Can you rip with it

thanks

glenn bradley
10-26-2009, 7:27 PM
I used the search here at the forum and got pages of stuff:

http://www.google.com/search?q=G0555&sitesearch=www.sawmillcreek.org

ken gibbs
10-27-2009, 2:29 AM
Steve,

I bought this Grizzly bandsaw in August of this year with the Shopfox mobile base. I only use it for personal shop products. It was easy to put together though I needed a strong helper to get the saw up on its Grizzly pedistal. Every thing else was easy. You will need to buy a resaw blade as well as a 1/8" or 3/16" blade for tight cuts. My only problem is getting enough time to use it a lot.

Ken Gibbs

Don Dorn
10-27-2009, 7:17 AM
I bought one in 2003 and still use it at least three times a week. What I like about it is that it has plenty of power and will resaw 10 in wide boards of oak (I have a riser) without a problem. It's pretty easy to tune and has a tension bar which I use. It's also easy to adjust the tracking. The fence is ok, but nothing I consider a benefit or a liability - it works, but isn't very high and is low enough that affixing jigs would be a pain. It's on my saw mostly for storage, and comes off for most operations to give me more room to manuver.

What I don't care for is access to the lower guides - they are identical to the top guides and while they work well, they don't have the knurled knob facing the front like the Deltas. Therefore, you need to get your fingers in there for adjustment - not overly difficult, just more time consuming.

I'm one who doesn't like changing blades at all so I found a comprimise. I ordered a three tooth per inch skip tooth blade that 3/32s. It gives me everything I need in that it if you slow down just a little, it will resaw anything and do it straight. It also give me far more intracut work like cutting waste from pins of dovetails.