PDA

View Full Version : My first two Neander Tools

Mike Olson
10-26-2009, 5:52 PM
So, i finally got my first two old time hand tools.

A Brace & Bits, and an old Keystone handsaw. I spent a lot of time sanding both items in order to even see the makers.

The Brace is from Consolidated Tool no210. Cost: $2.00
The Handsaw is Keystone Air Master. Cost: $1.00

I sanded the saw blade with 320 grit sand paper for a while before i finally found an etching that told me what it was. I'm a little afraid to sand anymore thinking it might remove the etching all together. Any ideas on how to clean it up more? Also, is there anything I can use to make the angle of the teeth the same? it's binding a bit, i think because the kerf isn't wide enough.

Thanks for looking.
Mike

Jim Koepke
10-26-2009, 7:55 PM
Mike,

See you have been here a while and finally posted. Welcome to the Creek. The brace looks interesting. Is that disk above the chuck for the ratchet?

As far as the saw is concerned, it sounds like you need to check out norsewoodsmith.com and vintagesaws.com. Both sites cover sharpening and setting the teeth on a saw. You will need files, a way to hold the saw and a saw set.

It is actually fairly easy to do, it just takes a little patience.

jim

Adam Woznicki
10-26-2009, 8:10 PM
Here's some info on the brace. looks cool, I'd use it.

http://www.sydnassloot.com/Brace/consolidated.htm

Mike Olson
10-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Wow, the Brace on that site looks a whole lot nicer than mine, but it is the same thing. The dial on top is for the Ratchet and it's quite a smooth operator. I have been wanting to disassemble the ratchet part to clean and grease but i'm not yet sure what grease to use. any ideas, does it matter?

Jim Koepke
10-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Wow, the Brace on that site looks a whole lot nicer than mine, but it is the same thing. The dial on top is for the Ratchet and it's quite a smooth operator. I have been wanting to disassemble the ratchet part to clean and grease but i'm not yet sure what grease to use. any ideas, does it matter?

I would use any light grease in my shop. Most of the grease in my shop would be either left over from when I rode and worked on bicycles or from working on my cars. Anything that doesn't dry out and gum up with age.

jim

Mike Holbrook
10-27-2009, 11:27 AM
I like to soak smaller parts in containers of kerosene or WD-40, but the saw would require too large a quantity. I think the first thing I would use on the saw is a degreaser cleaner called Krud Kutter. It is "biodegradable and Earth Friendly". A manager at Lowes recommended it very highly so I tried it. I have soaked things for a week and then sprayed them with it and it is amazing how much more "Krud" it will find and remove. There is a product called Navel Jelly that is good on rust but it does not look like you have rust.

I would get some rubber gloves and something to protect you from noxious fumes too. Brass brushes are very nice. Dremel brass and steel brushes are good for smaller areas but fall apart fairly fast, just got a brass brush for a drill but I have been afraid to use it yet. I use a belt sander on wood that needs to be redone. I bought some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) to strip paint off old drills. I was told it was better than typical paint strippers. Like a notch above Acetone. I have not worked up the nerve to use it yet though, so I am not speaking from experience.

Good Luck, restore on!