PDA

View Full Version : Pony Pipe Clamp Users - Advice Needed

Dwain Lambrigger
10-26-2009, 5:45 PM
I recently came into several 3/4 inch pony pipe clamps. Three of the ten are immovable. I can't get them off of the pipe, and I can adjust them where they are. I have shot PB Blaster on them until they are drenched on three different occasions to no avail. I was thinking I could use heat, but I am worried i would distort the clamp. I don't care about the pipe so much. I was also thinking of soak them in vinegar or citric acid. Anyone out there had this issue? I am sure these are fine clamps, if I could just get them moving.

Thanks to any and all that can help.

Dwain

Bob Vallaster
10-26-2009, 7:03 PM
Dwain,
Pipe thread is a tapered thread. The last bit of rotation can really wedge things tight if someone goes gorilla on it.
Penterant is a doubtful fix: the thread is meant to be fluid- and gas-tight. And the previous owner might have used pipe dope (I hope not).
I'd hold off on the heat. Likely to ruin that nice orange paint.
Clamp the pipe in a vise or apply a pipe wrench---get a good bite on it. Then use a big channel-lock plier or adjustable wrench to turn the female casting off. Remember: righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Bob V

Peter Quinn
10-26-2009, 7:47 PM
I'd clamp the head of the pony in a vise or screw jack clamp securely, and use a serious pipe wrench to turn off the pipe. I'd rather gauge and mar the old pipe than the clamp head. I haven't met one yet that couldn't be removed. Pipe dope makes things trickier, but not impossible. If you can't apply enough force with just a pipe wrench, slide a piece of pipe with an ID large enough to fit over the handle to increase your leverage and have at it. This is all assuming you need to change the pipes length, other wise leave it alone, at least its not loose!

Craig Feuerzeig
10-26-2009, 8:01 PM
Give the release mechanism a good smack. Good as new.;)

Cody Colston
10-26-2009, 9:51 PM
If it's the screwed on portion that is stuck, then get a couple of twenty-fours to break it loose. Use a cheater pipe is necessary, but it shouldn't be that hard to break lose a 3/4" thread.

If it's the adjustable part that is stuck, then do like was suggested and whack the release with a hammer.

harry strasil
10-27-2009, 12:28 AM
pony clamps that have been over tightened have a tendency to lock on to the pipe, just smack it with something, I usually use a piece of scrap wood and hit the 3 grippers that stick out, just remember to file the grooves it made into the pipe down, they stick much easier on galv pipe.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-27-2009, 7:26 AM
If you smack the adjustable part, smack it towards the fixed head, not away. Away will set it tighter :)