PDA

View Full Version : Worth a closer look?

Dave Novak
10-26-2009, 4:56 PM
Hey guys, I'm perilously close to entering the vortex. Been lurking around your furum admiring the work and trying to pick a lathe. Don't necessarily want to break the bank, but also don't want something that will obviously need upgraded too quickly or even worse, discourage me from progressing because it's junk. Stumbled into this:

http://mattoon.craigslist.org/tls/1434840704.html

Is this worth a closer look? What kind of questions should I be asking and what should I look for if I make the couple hour drive to see it in person? I'm mostly interested in turning bowls/vases, etc.

Dave Novak
10-26-2009, 5:03 PM
Nwevermind, and sorry to be a bother. I just realized it has only a 12" swing, and I'm pretty sure I'd like the ability to swing something a little bigger than that.

Paul Atkins
10-26-2009, 6:36 PM
Looks like a deal to me. Not junk, unless it's been abused. You can turn outboard larger than 12" with a stand alone toolrest. I think it would be a great first lathe. Another thing, there is 16" over the gap.

Dick Strauss
10-26-2009, 6:36 PM
Dave,
I think that would be a good starter lathe. Those Rockwell lathes are well made and respected. Between the 1.5hp motor, available speeds, 1-8 spindle, and MT2s, all the specs look good. Any accessories for this lathe should be compatible with any future lathe purchases you make. When you are ready to move up to a bigger one, you'd probably be able to sell it again at close to that price.

Just food for thought...

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2009, 6:46 PM
I agree with Dick. That would be a excellent starter lathe. I am sure you could sell it for what you have in it if you decide later to move up.

Gordon Seto
10-26-2009, 7:28 PM
Don't be greedy on the swing. You will have to pay a lot more for a larger lathe that runs as smooth of equal quality.
Be careful when comparing specs, they never tell you the fit & finish, and the smoothness it runs. There is no fun and difficult to get a smooth cut when the lathe vibrates.
This is a good starter for you to test the water. It will buy you time & your first hand experience to determine what larger lathe you want to upgrade to.

Richard Madison
10-26-2009, 8:47 PM
My lathe will turn 16" inboard but I rarely turn anything that would not fit on a smaller (12" swing) lathe.

Where is that thread that details all the things to check when considering a used lathe? There was at least one very thorough write-up on the subject.

Joe Mioux
10-26-2009, 8:59 PM
hmm... i am only 70 miles from there...

oh wait, I already have lathe. ;)

Looks like a nice lathe and like the others said., Your risk of ownership is minimal when you decide to upgrade you won't get hurt on the re-sale.