PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw ZCI

Jim Eller
10-26-2009, 1:02 PM
How do you cut the kerf in a zero clearance insert for a bandsaw without loosing and flesh?

Jim

Paul Steiner
10-26-2009, 1:08 PM
With the old throat plate in I setup my fence tangent the left side of the plate. Then carefully run the new plate into the blade until it covers the old plate. A wooden clamp or a good pushstick helps.

tyler mckenzie
10-26-2009, 1:09 PM
You can unplug and turn wheels by hand.

or

Use a jorgeson screw clamp to get you fingers out of there

or

Hand saw

Pete Bradley
10-26-2009, 1:12 PM
hot glue or pin insert to a larger piece (hint: glue to the corner of a straight length so you can set fence th the edge of the insert hole).

I almost never have bothered though. For the occasional cut that needs it I just run the workpiece on top of a sacrificial piece.

Pete

Ben Martin
10-26-2009, 1:43 PM
Are you guys buying the ZCIs or making your own, if so, out of what?

Bill Huber
10-26-2009, 2:33 PM
I use a hunk of MDF that I set up when I first got my saw.

It has a kurf cut in it and a line that is square to the sides. There are 2 lines that show where the insert goes.

I put the board on the table with the with the blade in the kerf and set the fence.

I put 2 little strips of 2 sided tape on the new insert. Then line the new insert up with the little notches on the side with the lines I have on the board and the lines I have made for the center.

Then cut it, that's about it

Bill Huber
10-26-2009, 2:36 PM
Are you guys buying the ZCIs or making your own, if so, out of what?

I just get the plastic ones from Rockler, I am lazy.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17458&filter=zero%20clearance%20insert

Jerome Hanby
10-26-2009, 3:13 PM
Same here (except mine came from Woodcraft). Guess I'm being very unsafe, but the one I've had to cut I fed through by hand.

I just get the plastic ones from Rockler, I am lazy.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17458&filter=zero%20clearance%20insert

Jim Eller
10-26-2009, 6:18 PM
Thanks guys. That helps.

Bill,

I'm guess I'm just as lazy. I have the Rockler blues ones too. I printed your drawing and will make the jig.

Thanks,
Jim

Dick Strauss
10-26-2009, 6:45 PM
I'd suggest cutting it with a hacksaw or coping saw...

James Carmichael
10-27-2009, 8:08 AM
I set a fence on either side of the insert to guide it in and a push stick with carpet seam tape attached to the ZCI.

I make my own by laminating two pieces of horizontal-grade plastic laminate, gives me the exact thickness I need.

glenn bradley
09-07-2010, 10:59 PM
I use a hunk of MDF that I set up when I first got my saw.

It has a kurf cut in it and a line that is square to the sides. There are 2 lines that show where the insert goes.

I put the board on the table with the with the blade in the kerf and set the fence.

I put 2 little strips of 2 sided tape on the new insert. Then line the new insert up with the little notches on the side with the lines I have on the board and the lines I have made for the center.

Then cut it, that's about it

Thanks Bill. I just made up a batch using something like your jig idea. Took about 10 minutes to make and I now have more ZCI's than I could need. My saw holds the inserts in with a couple pegs. I don't think they are really necessary but, it was easy enough to epoxy in a couple short pieces of copper wire.

Neil Brooks
09-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Scrap mahogany ply.

D/S taped to a board, and run through.

Drilled for -- in theory -- dust relief ;)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/S652UpoG9YI/AAAAAAAAA7g/XP74agjhAcA/s640/P1040752.JPG