PDA

View Full Version : Looking for letter carving info

Bart Sharp
09-25-2004, 7:58 PM
Has anyone here done any letter carving? I'm interested in the kind done with a chip-knife more than the kind done with a complete set of different sweep gouges. I have seen reference to what I'd like to learn in a couple of the Wayne Barton books, but I would really like to find some more detailed instructions on how to get started.

Has anyone ever done this kind of carving? Any tips, or sources of info? Now that my lap is my shop, this is going to be about the best I can do for a while.

Thanks!

Jack Hogoboom
09-25-2004, 8:52 PM
Check out the latest issue of Woodworking at Home. They have a whole segment on carving letters.

Jack

Bart Sharp
09-27-2004, 9:08 AM
Thanks, I'll try to track one down. Do you know what kind of method they talk about?

Check out the latest issue of Woodworking at Home. They have a whole segment on carving letters.

Jack

David Hayes
09-27-2004, 10:17 AM
On the dvd, they used a word processing program to generate the letters in a Roman font.

The letters were carved using straight, gouge, and fishtail chisels for the most part.

For chip carving, you should probably test some different letter styles that lend themselves to chip carving. I may be mistaken, but I think I heard the demonstrator say that the font used was also okay for chip carving.

Dave