PDA

View Full Version : Antique brass/broze screw

Paul Ryan
10-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Does anybody have a source for some antique brass or broze screws #10 and 1 1/2-2" long. It gets a little tougher too I need a washer head or a flat head screw with a finshing washer. I have been looking for a couple of days and havent had much luck. I checked Mcfeely's they dont have anything in that color. I have tried some google searches with no luck.

Thanks

David Christopher
10-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Paul, have you tried Lee Valley ? if you dont see what you want from the catalog or internet give them a call ( really nice people and no computer telephone ) I bet they will have what you need

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41334&cat=3,41306

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41311&cat=3,41306

Paul Ryan
10-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the help. I completly forgot about Lee Valley David. But they don't have antique brass either. I called them and they are very helpful told me to try fastenal, but that didn't turn up anything either. So my search goes on. I may have to go to straight shinny brass. It isn't the color of choice for my mother. I am making a christmas present for her. At least I got started early.

Paul Atkins
10-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Use the polished screws and antique them yourself. There are various antiquing solutions.

george wilson
10-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Dip the screws into gun bluing. I use Oxpho blue that Brownell's sells. Make sure the screws are free of any oil first. If they go too black,use very fine steel wool to remove some of the excess color.

You can also age brass by putting them in a little pile of black gunpowder,and lighting it. The powder will just burn vigorously as long as it IS NOT CONFINED!!! The sulfur does the trick. Gun blue is more controllable. You can also get Brass Black,a name brand solution that blackens brass.

If you want green verdigris,put the screws into a trash bag with an open dish of ammonia for a few days. Keep the bag tied shut. There are Patina brand solutions to give different colors to brass. They are sold in Arts and Crafts stores.

Paul Ryan
10-26-2009, 12:47 PM
It sounds like were either "onto something" or "on something" fellas. Thanks for the help. I have a bottle of gun blueing at the moment for a shotgun I am working on. I will give that try. Thanks again.

Bruce Page
10-26-2009, 3:18 PM
I seem to recall reading that good old urine will age brass also. :rolleyes:

Go have a couple beers... ;)

Jeff Willard
10-26-2009, 4:03 PM
You can also age brass by putting them in a little pile of black gunpowder,and lighting it.

:eek::eek::eek:

I'd be willing to attempt such a thing with smokeless powder, something like H110 or 2400, but wouldn't even consider it with black powder.

Now, after having said that, I'll say this-I can't recommend that anybody use powder-black or smokeless-in any manner inconsistent with it's intended purpose.

John Pratt
10-26-2009, 5:52 PM
I haven't checked their site for a while, but Van Dykes Restorers used to have stuff like this.

Paul Ryan
10-26-2009, 7:44 PM
"You can also age brass by putting them in a little pile of black gunpowder,and lighting it. The powder will just burn vigorously as long as it IS NOT CONFINED!!! The sulfur does the trick. Gun blue is more controllable. You can also get Brass Black,a name brand solution that blackens brass."

How about those cylindrical chunks that come in a pack for muzzle loaders. Should I crush up one of those. I think each one is only about 50 grains. :D:D

Thanks but I had tried Van Dykes, no luck though. I will try to tarnish my own.

If you don't hear from me for a while assume that the black powder method didn't go so well.