PDA

View Full Version : Wide Belt Sander Belts Recommendations

Ed Hazel
10-26-2009, 11:13 AM
I recently purchased the Griz G9983 wide belt sander it uses a 16" x 48" belt.
Does anyone have a recommendation on purchasing belts? Should I be looking at the washable belts? There seems to be a variety of different backing materials which is best?

What grit size would you recommend going from planing to finish on mostly Oak, Cherry and Soft Maple would like to go from sander to light ROS to stain.

John M. Smith
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
I use 100, 120 ,then 180 grit. It is generally not recomended to skip more than 1 grit size. I purchase mine from a local company, but I think industrial belt supply(?) they advertise here ,looks to be a good place also.

John

Ed Hazel
10-26-2009, 12:16 PM
John
Who is your local supplier? I will be in Alto next week

John M. Smith
10-26-2009, 12:34 PM
The last ones I purchased were from W.P. Williams. Don,t know if they stock them or were special ordered. The company I work for used them as their sandpaper supplier.

John

Glen D. Huey
10-26-2009, 12:46 PM
I use a Y-weight #150-grit sanding belt for all my operations. I only drop to #80 grit if I'm attempting to level a wide board that does not fit through my planer. From the planer, I see no need to travel through the different grits due to the oscillation movement of the machine. I move from the machine, through #150 with a DA sander, through #180 with a DA sander, to dye finishing.

I purchase most of my sanding belts through thewoodworkingshop.com

J.R. Rutter
10-27-2009, 12:22 AM
I use paper backed belts in my commercial shop. They are cheaper than cloth and I have never had one break. I would rather replace a less expensive belt when the abrasive begins to dull than try to keep a more expensive cloth belt going after it is getting dull. You want the grit to cut, not burnish. I've been using SIA alum oxide for rough grits (150 and lower) and carbide for 180 and up.

Bob Stroman
11-08-2009, 1:42 PM
Wide sanding belts can be expensive. Don't buy more sanding belts than you will use in a year, because the glue joint does not last forever. Storing sanding belts off the floor under moderate humidity and temperature conditions will prolong their shelf life. Ask your vendor how long they have had the sanding belts.

Congrats on your new wide belt sander. I have the Bridgewood version of the same machine. You're going to love it.