PDA

View Full Version : end mills ?

Harry Goodwin
10-26-2009, 10:20 AM
A while back I bought some machine shop end mills that were brand new. My question now is can I use them in a router for box joiints or other routing. Don't ask why I bought them, they were cheap, quality and envisioned some metal work with them. Harry

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-26-2009, 10:42 AM
A while back I bought some machine shop end mills that were brand new. My question now is can I use them in a router for box joiints or other routing. Don't ask why I bought them, they were cheap, quality and envisioned some metal work with them. Harry

If you have a lathe you can turn little collets for them. Otherwise you are stuck with shanks that fit your router collets. As for the double end end mills you will either have to cut them in half or pack them away.

Do not try to use them in a drill press. Chances are high the vibration and side loading will yank the chuck's taper out of the quill and you'll have that flopping around with the cutter in it.

mike holden
10-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Harry,
I have used end mills in a router to cut mortices. The most important point is that the shank must be the same size as your collet. So, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/8 (if you have the collet) are about the only sizes. Obviously, if you have metric collets then the sizes will be different. But, collet and shaft must match.
Mike

Ralph Barhorst
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
I use endmills all the time, especially for mortise and tenon joints. I usually get them from ebay. They are much cheaper than the router spiral bits. The best ones to use are 2-flute solid carbide. The 2-flute endmills will remove the shavings/dust better than a four flute endmill. The HSS bits work well too, but don't stay sharp as long as a carbide bit.

You should check out the website below to buy some collet adapters for various size bits. They also work well.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bushing_ball_bearings.html

Ray Newman
10-26-2009, 12:24 PM
I've been using double flute end mills in my routers for some time now. I never could get the 4 flute mills to cut without burning. I probably was doing something wrong.

If you look around, end mills are available in several diameter shanks, but I only buy the 1/4" & 1/2" shanks. At one time, Porter-Cable had a 3/8" collet for their routers, so, 3/8" shank end mills can also be utilized with Porter-Cable routers.

I found that they cut better than the “typical” straight double flute router bits and are a bit more economical. And as with router bits, prices and quality varies.

Ralph Barhorst: thanks for the link to the collet adapters.

george wilson
10-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Being a machinist,here are some facts: The 2 flute endmills are for milling aluminum,which is softer than steel,and a bigger cut can be take. Hence,they clear themselves better. They would also be the best choice fow wood. Less clogging,bigger flutes. Four flute endmills are for steel,where the chips are not as large,and 4 cutting edges lasts longer in the harder metal they are cutting.

Three flute endmills can be used for either,but their diameter is harder to measure,especially if reground. You have to have a special V anvil mike,or take a cut and measure it.

tyler mckenzie
10-26-2009, 1:01 PM
End mills work great on wood, i use them all the time, 2 and 4 flute.

tyler
tealandgold.blogspot.com/

Harry Goodwin
10-26-2009, 10:32 PM
thanks a lot for the help. Harry