PDA

View Full Version : advice

Gene Hobbs
10-26-2009, 9:44 AM
Hello everyone. I need some advice. I was approached about doing some engraving for a company. The problem is they want it color filled. The engraving will be the Great Seal Of United States, and done in glass two colors. One will be Gold and the Other will be Silver. These are very high end Flag Cases. Right now they are screen printing the seal on the glass but said they thought it would look better engraved. It will be about 400 pieces a month that will be engraved and filled. The problem is I did some test over the weekend and after engraving and filling with Rub n Buff. It did not look so good. Could anyone recommend anything else to make the color pop. I am reverse engraving. This could be a huge job if I get this right, I will attach an image of a case. I thank everyone in advance.http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee49/geno239/presidential.jpg

Darren Null
10-26-2009, 9:53 AM
You could try mask-laser-paint per colour

Dan Hintz
10-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Darren's got the way... on any color fill (particularly multi-color stuff), I paint through a lasered mask.

Mike Null
10-26-2009, 10:11 AM
If they must be laser engraved then I think Darren is right. It's a two part process and your registration must be perfect. It would be easier if you were just doing the glass pieces before assembly.

If they didn't have to be engraved, I'd have them printed or epoxy a medallion on them.

Gene Hobbs
10-26-2009, 10:23 AM
I will be engraving just the glass. They will send me the glass to store at my shop. I will engrave and send glass to them. Also it is not multicolor
One will be filled with gold for the Presidential Flag case the other will be Silver for the Vice Presidential Flag.

Thanks Gene

Mike Null
10-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Gene

I misunderstood. Try use the mask and then some spray paint. For a job this size I'd probably invest in an air brush set up.

Hope you get the deal.

Neal Schlee
10-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Glass color fills much better if sand blasted.

Neal

Rodne Gold
10-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Search threads for glass engraving for great tips on how to make laser engraved glass look its best

Glass engraving is best done front engraved and filled , reverse laser engraving glass and filling will always not look that great due to how glass laser engraves. (it fractures it)

George D Gabert
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I know they asked for etch, but could you use (I think it is called) laser foil.

Or could you laser a mask and use gold or silver leaf?

GDG

Francisco perez
10-26-2009, 1:50 PM
Hi Gene, i have done similar work like this, for this type of of work i sugest if you deep sandblast the design and then color fill it, the "design" will stand out alot, is you got to use to 2 colors or more then you will have to do it one step at a time but that depends on the type of design you are working with.