PDA

View Full Version : Insulating shop door

Bill Leonard
10-26-2009, 7:23 AM
My shop is heated and cooled, but with an uninsulated overhead door. I plan to use construction adhesive and foam board insulation to solve the door problem. My question is : Which side of the foam board goes to the shop side, the silver or the trademark side, for the best R value?

Yitah Wu
10-26-2009, 8:01 AM
Silver side to the heated room.

I did this to my garage. Makes a big difference

Mike Ray
10-26-2009, 8:07 AM
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ExternalPageView?pageKey=EXTERNAL_PAGE_134

Take a look at this Bubble Wrap. It is silver on one side and white on the other. Has a good R value and is light weight and easy to get to stick and will flex with the door. Detailed about halfway down the page.

Either way the silver side faces the outward side. (White faces in)

Mike Ray
10-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Interesting - I guess the silver in will reflect heat back into the room.... Mine is all out and I guess it keeps the heat out here in the summer and the insulation keeps the heat in in the winter. The white reflects light well also. Maybe the different material is the key..??? (Shop a lot more cluttered now )

Heather Thompson
10-26-2009, 10:40 AM
I installed mine with the silver side facing in, my shop is cooled with a fan in the summer and the door is open, nice and warm in the cold months.

Heather

Bill Leonard
10-26-2009, 3:09 PM
Interesting. Two for the silver in and two for the silver out. Heads for the silver in, tails for the silver out. Thanks for the responses.

Jeff Fischer
10-26-2009, 10:56 PM
IIRC, the silver reflective foil needs an air gap to work. If it is in contact with something then it is conductive rather than reflective.
HTH

Jeff

David Hostetler
10-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Silver side in, air gap (the foam) between the heat source and the foil to make it work right...

Bill Leonard
10-27-2009, 7:47 AM
Thanks, Silver side in it is.

David G Baker
10-27-2009, 11:23 AM
My roll up door has double foil sided bubble insulation.