PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 64 Alignment

tim walker
09-25-2004, 7:53 PM
I have a PM64 TS. Just bought a master gauge alignment tools. It was off in the rear about 30/1000th. I know I must loosen the trunnion bolts to align it, but every time I tighten them up it moves. How much, if any is acceptable?

Ken Garlock
09-25-2004, 9:14 PM
Hi Tim. I just went through the blade/miter slot alignment job last week. I had the same problem when tightening the bolts. My saw is the Bridgewood 10LTS and when adjusting, it moves the table top whereas I think(?) you are moving the trunnion. I got around my problem by slightly tightening each bolt, not very much, just a little. I check the alignment and found it to be good, so I tightened all the bolts just a little bit more. I repeated the process once or twice more and by then the bolts were getting snug. At that point I went around the bolts and cranked them down. All the tightening was done by starting with two diagonal bolts, and the the other two on the other corners.

Good Luck Tim....

Dean Baumgartner
09-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Tim, something else to look for. On the surface were the bolt heads tighten down to check for indentations or marking from previous tightening. When I relocated my Vega fence to the new saw I had that problem when aligning the fence to the miter slot. A couple of washers took care of the problem.

Dean

Greg Tatum
09-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Hey Tim....when I did my alignment I did a couple of things...

1. I only loosened 3 of the 4 bolts...one is a pivet point.

2. I put my 24 tooth rip blade on the arbor, raised to full heighth and clamped my fence to the blade and then clamped the fence down.

When I tighten the bolts the top doesn't move.

Good luck,
Greg

scott spencer
09-26-2004, 7:14 AM
Hi Tim - I'm considering adding a set of PALS to my GI contractor saw. They're $20 including s/h, and the installation is supposed to be very straightforward. You may want to consider a set for your saw.
http://in-lineindustries.com/saw_pals.html