PDA

View Full Version : WIP have to post it!

Dennis McGarry
10-25-2009, 8:41 PM
Ok, well here is my FIRST attempt at a simple segmented pen. It is Maple and Ebony.

Now I do not own a jointer nor a planer, have a band saw that i realized after I cut these that the table was not square to the blade. SO I cut them and taped a piece of sandpaper to a glass picture frame and sanded by hand. Then checked on the rail of the lathe.

The top shows the glue up the diagonal cut was taken from and the bottom shows the blank ready for finish! I Know its really simple and not to hard, but start to finish only took 2 hours. I can not wait to build a sled for the TS and get the band saw tuned up!

Thanks for looking!

PS OH. and there are no gaps in between the wood sections!

Dennis McGarry
10-25-2009, 9:13 PM
Here is the finished pen..

7 Coats of CA then 4 plastic polish. (why not) The pic is picking up a glare that is not there on the pen.

Steve Schlumpf
10-25-2009, 9:20 PM
Dennis - congrats on your first segmented pen! Looks great! Have to believe things will be a little easier for you next time once you get the sled built! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
10-25-2009, 11:44 PM
That is a great looking pen. Well done.

Norman Pyles
10-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Nice looking pen, love the ebony.

Billy Tallant
10-26-2009, 2:29 AM
Great looking pen! That ebony slice in the center, just makes that pen stand out.

Chris Stolicky
10-26-2009, 9:56 AM
Good job. Ebony is also a very hard wood next to maple. I also did not see any bleed from the dark ebony dust on the light maple. This can be a challenge sometimes. [edit - on second thought, there might be some - either way, it still looks good and only us pen makers will notice, or care : ) ]

Whenever I have done segmenting for pens I have hand sanded the pieces on a piece of sandpaper on top of a granite tile.

It certainly adds work, but the joint are nice and tight.