PDA

View Full Version : Single peddle mobile base peddle fix....

Bill Huber
10-25-2009, 7:41 PM
I have had a single peddle mobile base for years (pictured below). I used it on my welder for a long time and now that I am doing woodworking I moved it to my old table saw and now to the new table saw. I really like the single peddle base because there is just one peddle to let it down, makes things really fast. With a small shop I move the table saw around a lot and the single peddle is very nice.

Problem is that over the years the peddle has warn down and will not lift the saw very high, lets it almost drag the floor. I could adjust the legs but then how long will that last before its doing the same thing again. They want $25 for a new one, that is almost half for the price of a whole new unit.

Today I went to my good old Ace Hardware, I found some nylon wheels, some nylon spacers and a 3/8" bolt and 2 C clips, all total less the $5. I use a 3/8 by 4 inch bolt for the rod, 2 C clips and the nylon parts to fix it.

Cut the bolt off so there is 1/16" sticking out on each side of the peddle.

Chucked it up in the drill press and used some 400 grit emery cloth to clean it up and make it really smooth. I know I should have just got some 3/8" rod but I just needed 4 inches.

I use a file to file a groove in the rod on each end for the C clips, while still in the drill press, about 3/16" in from each ends.

The nylon wheels were 1" with a 3/8" hole which work just right for the bolt, they turned very easily.

Cut one of the spacers down so that both would go between the wheels to keep them apart.

On the peddle I drilled a 3/8" hole on each side, 1/2" in from each of the flat sides.

Talk about working nice, WOW it is really nice, smooth to lift and just rock the peddle to let it down. I think it is better then it was when it was new, I have 2 other of the same base so I am going to do the same to them.

131044 131045

131046 131047

Dan Mitchell
10-25-2009, 7:47 PM
Pretty nice, Bill. I have several of those also, including one under my 8" PM jointer, which is pretty heavy. I also like the one-peddle system best. Good job & thanks for sharing!

Dan

Myk Rian
10-25-2009, 7:52 PM
Bill;
Send it in to Wood magazine.
Great shop tip.

glenn bradley
10-25-2009, 8:07 PM
What a great fix. Thanks for sharing that. I have one of those bases and my built-in on my jointer works the same way. I'm gonna add that to my "nice things I do for myself in the shop" list.

Dan Mitchell
10-25-2009, 8:16 PM
You know one other thing I like about these single wheel bases, I've made other bases for my router table, band saw & planer, added casters & feet from HF or elsewhere, then configured the front of the base so I could use that single lever wheel on those bases as well, saving some bucks over buying multiple base kits. Works well if you don't have to move the stuff too frequently.

Dan

John Morrison60
10-28-2009, 7:32 PM
Bill
Not trying to hijack your thread, my question is about this base.
I like these bases very much, I have two of them now.
I am contemplating using one under a MiniMax Jointer/Planer
that weighs close to 600 lbs. (specified max capacity of base).
Have you (or anybody) used one for this heavy a duty?

appreciate the input.
John