PDA

View Full Version : Very quiet compressor recommendation please

Dan Karachio
10-25-2009, 6:42 PM
My Bostich 6 gallon oil-less compressor is painfully loud for me, the dog, the wife, the neighbors... I put it in an insulated box and this just isn't a good solution. I would like to buy a new compressor for use with primarily my Bostich brad nailer, Grex pin nailer and occasionally to blow out a little dust. I rarely do major all day work with these tools. Can anyone recommend something I would find at my local BORGs that is quiet and under $200. If it has to start all the time to recharge AND is quiet, I can live with that. Quiet is the thing here.

David Christopher
10-25-2009, 7:01 PM
will this do ? LOL

Scott Vincent
10-25-2009, 7:30 PM
Ive had good luck with the Porter Cable pancake. Used in in a very close residential setting. I can even fire it up in the garage without blowing out my ears! Seems relatively quiet. I have only used a couple of the double stacks prior.
Scott

johnny means
10-25-2009, 7:32 PM
I have been looking for the same thing for quite some time, only with a larger budget. I haven't been able to find anything that I thought was quiet enough yet.

A friend of mine has a custom made rotary screw compressor that makes about as much noise as a microwave oven. It truly is a beautiful thing. But, alas, the 3k price tag is a little more than I can deal with.

Paul Ryan
10-25-2009, 7:44 PM
Single stage belt driven comprssor will be your best be. They are fairly expensive but still aren't very quite. 2 stage direct drive compressors are very noisy. But no matter what you buy unless it is super expensive and big wont be very quite. My older 5 hp 35 gallon belt driven is suprisingly quite compared to the newer direct drive machines but it still makes plenty of noise.

Mark Drayton
10-25-2009, 7:53 PM
http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/chart_choice.asp

I haven't got/seen/heard one of these but have seen them recommended by others I trust elsewhere.

Mark

Jeremy Wilcox
10-25-2009, 7:57 PM
The trouble here is the definition of "QUIET"... I have a 26 Gallon Oilless craftsman compressor and its "QUIET" to my standards. It makes less noise than my shop vac and certainly not louder than my power tools ie Tablesaw and router.

Link of reviews for the unit i have
http://www.mysears.com/Craftsman-26-gal-Air-Compressor-with-Air-Tool-Kit-1-6-hp-Vertical-Tank-160-Max-PSI-reviews#product_sort_filter

Link to the item at sears.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916770000P?keyword=26+gallon+air+c ompressor

hope this may help.

Jeremy

Rob Robinson VT
10-25-2009, 8:14 PM
I've got the Makita MAC2400 2.5hp "Big Bore" unit and it's the quietest "portable" unit that I've ever encountered. A bit higher than you'd like to pay (just over $300 currently) but should fit your needs nicely.

Brian Penning
10-25-2009, 8:15 PM
Just do a search on a Makita MAC 2400. That's what I did and purchased.
Pretty well most reviews state how quiet it is and I can concur.

Pete Copeland
10-25-2009, 8:27 PM
If you want quite and don't mind spending more to get it the answer is Jun-air. I had these in my lab at work were we have many pneumatic valves. You can't really tell the compressor is on (at 100 psi).

The bad news: these small pancake compressors have a price well north of $1000.

Dan Karachio
10-25-2009, 8:36 PM
For a definition of quiet, how about this. The Bostich hurts. You have to wear ear protection if you are anywhere near it and even in the basement my neighbors 4 houses away can hear it. It is really bad and is louder than any saw, jointer, planer... in my shop. How about a Senco at Home Depot? Anyone have experience with that?

I realize I may have to pay a bit more than $200, but it will be worth it. A while back I saw a guy working with a two tank unit that was very quiet - we could talk over it. He said it was $300 or so. I need to be hypnotized or something because I cannot remember what it was!

Mark Ewing
10-25-2009, 9:02 PM
Dan,

The Makita MAC 700 would seem to fit your needs quite well.

I have one and can't say enough good things about it. It's quiet. It doesn't take up much space. It's quiet. It's a quality built machine. It's very quiet. It powers pin, brad, and finish nailers with ease. It's also very quiet.

And best of all....It's a very quiet machine!

Basement use--no problem. Late night use in your garage--no problem.

My brother AND brother-in-law both were so impressed, they bought their own after using mine. Now my aunt-in-law even has one!

I'm sure the MAC 2400 would be a great unit as well, but you mentioned a $200 price target. The MAC 700 should run $200-$210. The MAC 2400 will be about $320.

Best of luck in your decision.

By the way, the MAC 700 recycled while I was typing this message...and I bet you didn't even hear a thing!

And in the interest of full disclosure...I have no affiliation with Makita. (although, if they would like to provide me with a MAC 700 or even a MAC 2400--I'm sure I could put them to good quiet use)

Mark Boyette
10-25-2009, 9:07 PM
Personally I found the crapsman anything and porter cable pancakes to be extremely loud, dewalts are even worse. I shopped this purchase quite a bit since I needed something quiet to use in kitchen installations. I really wanted something quite to use in comsumers homes.
We have a small speedaire at work that is very quiet but it's a bit bulky for a travel compressor.
I eneded up with this senco. very nice unit, lightweight, and quiet. Not very big in volume but I used it to frame up a 1200 square foot barn... including shingles. It was able to keep up. I can't remember what I paid for it but it was around $200. I didn't find any makitas out there when shopping but the reviews here sound good.
http://www.senco.com/con_rem/ViewTool.aspx?toolid=554
the larger units are going to be loud.
hope this helps.
Mark.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-25-2009, 9:37 PM
will this do ? LOL

yup that was my thinking.

If you want a really quiet compressor you might be better of building an insulated housing.

The quiet ones: scroll compressors, roots blowers, and such are going to cost you five figures.

Joe Jensen
10-25-2009, 9:41 PM
Thomas compressors are reportedly one of the quietest compressors. I have a large quiet Quincy, but it's hardly portable at almost 600 LBs :)

george wilson
10-25-2009, 9:56 PM
We had a Thomas. It was still pretty loud,and wasn't cheap. I managed to find 2 Jun-air compressors for sale for about $300.00 each. I bought both of them. They are as silent as a refrigerator. My wife uses them in her jewelry making shop. Now they can listen to their radio and talk without "air compressor" breaks!!

I also have a little Senco for a nail gun. It isn't too loud. Don't know how it would compare to the Makita. Woodcraft sold it.

Frank Martin
10-25-2009, 10:32 PM
If you want small, I also have a Makita MAC 700, which is very quiet compared to what I had before (PC pancake). It can handle everything you mentioned.
Good luck...

Randal Stevenson
10-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Under two hundred is the budget killer. The things to look for in my experience, are:

1. Not oil less.
2. Cast iron cylinder (not iron sleeved or aluminum)
3. Speed of the motor. Higher end compressors, use a slower/quieter motor.

Dan Karachio
10-26-2009, 7:43 AM
Dan,

The Makita MAC 700 would seem to fit your needs quite well.

I have one and can't say enough good things about it. It's quiet. It doesn't take up much space. It's quiet. It's a quality built machine. It's very quiet. It powers pin, brad, and finish nailers with ease. It's also very quiet.

And best of all....It's a very quiet machine!

Basement use--no problem. Late night use in your garage--no problem.

My brother AND brother-in-law both were so impressed, they bought their own after using mine. Now my aunt-in-law even has one!

I'm sure the MAC 2400 would be a great unit as well, but you mentioned a $200 price target. The MAC 700 should run $200-$210. The MAC 2400 will be about $320.

Best of luck in your decision.

By the way, the MAC 700 recycled while I was typing this message...and I bet you didn't even hear a thing!

And in the interest of full disclosure...I have no affiliation with Makita. (although, if they would like to provide me with a MAC 700 or even a MAC 2400--I'm sure I could put them to good quiet use)

Thanks Marc, this may be the one. Let me ask you one more thing though, is it quiet? :-)

I'm not sure everyone can appreciate how loud this Bostich is. It is literally the loudest tool in the shop. So, I'm not looking for whisper quiet (and know that would cost), just something that doesn't loosen my fillings every time it goes on.

Paul Wunder
10-26-2009, 8:21 AM
Dan,

Try this three gallon Sears, It is quiet, cast iron, with a small oil resevoir. and it is on sale for $89.95 I have used it for a few years with my Porter Cable 1/2" to 2" brad gun and it seems to go as fast as I need it. I use it for home repair and woodworking and I am very pleased, and frankly surprised at the quality. My five horse 20 gallon unit sits on the side now.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915310000P?mv=rr

Matt Day
10-26-2009, 8:23 AM
Couldn't you also build an insulated enclosure around the compressor to reduce the noise even more?

Marty Barron
10-26-2009, 8:30 AM
You may want to try Eagle compressors. The model shown in the link claims to be quieter but there are more models to check.

Hope this helps.

Marty

http://eaglecompressor.com/air_compressor_model.php?recordID=197

mark kosse
10-26-2009, 8:33 AM
I have a large porter cable that is extremely quiet. I hardly ever know its running. It's a 27gal horizontal that gives 6.8 cfm @90 if you want to look for it that way. It's also 400.00+ if that makes a difference.

Curt Harms
10-26-2009, 8:39 AM
Dan,

Try this three gallon Sears, It is quiet, cast iron, with a small oil resevoir. and it is on sale for $89.95 I have used it for a few years with my Porter Cable 1/2" to 2" brad gun and it seems to go as fast as I need it. I use it for home repair and woodworking and I am very pleased, and frankly surprised at the quality. My five horse 20 gallon unit sits on the side now.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915310000P?mv=rr

I have that one as well, had a Sears gift card. It'll certainly run pneumatic nailers etc. It wouldn't run die grinders or impact guns. I tried mine with a PSH1 P-C HVLP gun just for grins. It'd keep up but the compressor never shut off. I don't know how long it could run continuously before overheating. It's not whisper-quiet but I don't jump when it comes on, either.

Rob Robinson VT
10-26-2009, 9:38 AM
duh, I completely forgot about the smaller Makita, which I passed on when I bought mine as I thought it would cycle too often with my 15ga angled finish nailer. At 52# it's no lightweight, but it's still 25# lighter than my 2400 (the weight is the only thing I don't like about mine). I've now used mine to install hardwood flooring in 3 rooms and my barn/woodshop and am amazed at how infrequently it cycles (only about every 30-40 2" nails at 90psi - and then only for about 20-30 seconds!). It would appear that the Makita MAC700 is a perfect fit for your needs.

frank shic
10-26-2009, 9:57 AM
another vote for the thomas!

john bateman
10-26-2009, 11:40 AM
If all you're going to do is shoot brads, this thing actually works:
http://www.amazon.com/Palmgren-92101-Tankless-Cordless-Compressor/dp/B00068U8BM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1256571359&sr=8-2

You could probably make it blow a few puffs of air to clean dust...but it won't blow continuously.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5132EQEEGRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg.

Andrew Perry
10-26-2009, 11:50 AM
I have a Jun-Air which is whisper quiet, but expensive.

A very affordable alternative is this one:
http://www.generatordepot.us/air-compressor-4-6gallon-aluminum-quietzone.aspx

Mike M Moore
10-26-2009, 12:23 PM
If you only need to shoot a few brads or nails at a time, this one is quiet, lightweight, & affordable.

http://www.senco.com/con_rem/ViewTool.aspx?toolid=175

george wilson
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
It can overheat a compressor being confined in a small space. I urge you to not burn yours out trying that. I had the same idea years ago,while TRYING to quiet down the THOMAS compressor we were using. It is quieter than many,but still pretty loud. The Senco was much better.It only should be used for nail guns,though,as it is very small. Mine was sold with a brad gun by Woodcraft.

James Arvanetakis
10-26-2009, 1:10 PM
http://www.senco.com/con_rem/ViewTool.aspx?toolid=175[/QUOTE]

they have that one at my local Costco store fyi for ~ 139 with a brad nailer

John Noble
10-26-2009, 1:44 PM
Another vote for the Makita MAC700. I got one a month or two ago, and it's the quietest small compressor I've ever encountered. It cycles quickly, too, which further reduces noise concerns. Yes, it's heavy for its size, but the whole thing screams quality, especially when compared the the pancake offerings at the Borg. If you look around, you can find them for about 200 bucks.

From the Amazon reviews, it seems that a lot of these get beat up in shipping, though Makita may have improved the packaging in the past couple of years. It might be best to buy locally.

Wayne Cannon
10-26-2009, 2:59 PM
Since it doesn't sound like you are using the compressor for finishing, an oil-lubricated compressor will be quite a bit quieter than an oil-less one.

I recently purchased a tiny, portable, Senco compressor for under $100 to avoid lugging around my 40-gal oil-lubricated unit. It's surprisingly quiet. It won't keep up with bounce-nailing roofers, but it has more than enough capacity for any shop stapling, finish nailing, my paint-shaker, or blowing off dust (no sanding, spray guns, or continuous blowing, though). You can even carry it around without injuring your back.

Dean Karavite
10-26-2009, 4:12 PM
I picked up a Dewalt 1 gallon today for $100 at HomeDepot. There was a Dewalt guy there and he plugged one in for me. We could talk while it was running, so how does that rank as quiet? Pretty good I would say.

Michael Aldridge
10-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Do you really need a big honking Makita MAC 2400 to drive a brad nailer, a pinner, and blow some dust? This small Senco 1010 at Amazon has good reviews, is very quiet, and just $149 delivered.
http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-1-Horsepower-1-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0000AQK78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1256610580&sr=8-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SksdE0WbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0000AQK78/sr=8-1/qid=1256610203/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi&qid=1256610203&sr=8-1)

Ryan Baker
10-27-2009, 10:52 PM
+1 to the Senco 1010. I have a small Craftsman branded version, but it is exactly the same unit. It is very quiet -- sounds like an aquarium air pump. This is obviously a very small compressor. It isn't going to drive a die grinder or something like that. It will easily drive a nail gun if you aren't shooting too fast. It is great to carry around when you need to do a little trim work and don't want to drag out a big compressor, or when you need to inflate your car tires or something. I love mine. And it can be found on sale for under $100.

John Callahan
10-28-2009, 1:54 AM
A vote for one for one of these .............

http://www.thomasairpac.com/products/airpac/airpac_electric/T-617HDN/images/T-617HDN_250px.jpgThe Thomas T-617HDN ......... very quiet (60dB), made in the USA but ............ it won't meet your budget and you'll have to buy your own regulator. Not a throwaway, rebuild kits are readily available and easily installed. My other pick would be a Makita MAC700; less expensive and still quiet.

Ed Lomax
10-28-2009, 2:27 AM
Another vote for the Thomas!

Rick Fisher
10-28-2009, 3:53 AM
Jun-air is actually marketed to Dentists..

They have a competitor.. Cant recall the name.. Quietest compressors by far..