PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw table height?

Jason White
10-25-2009, 5:41 PM
I have a 14" JET bandsaw and want to build a mobile cart to put it on (would be getting rid of the stock open steel stand).

What's the "ideal" height for the tabletop? My understanding is that it should be higher than the table on other tools like a tablesaw, for instance.

Jason

Dave Wagner
10-25-2009, 5:57 PM
mine is up petty high, then, I don't hvae to bend over to do intricate cuttings. I put casters on my stock steel frame and it raised it up about 4-5".

Jeff Willard
10-25-2009, 6:21 PM
I think what is "ideal" is a personal choice. What will the primary use of the saw be? Resawing, or scroll type work? Do you have the riser block? And consider your own height. I just replaced a 14" Delta clone with a Laguna. The new saw has a considerably lower table, about 35", IIRC. Considering the 14" resaw cap, it's just about right for that. But I could see extended sessions doing more detailed work becoming uncomfortable. If you foresee a lot of resawing, it may be more comfortable to drop the height some, especially on wide pieces with a riser installed in order to keep the sight line at a more convenient level.

glenn bradley
10-25-2009, 7:49 PM
My small saw I use for mostly curvy stuff so I have it at about elbow height so I don't have to hunch over for detail stuff. My larger saw is mostly used for resaw so I have it at a lower height so that I can guide larger material "from the hip", so to speak. In the end the "right" height is dependent on you, your build/height and what you do most.

Andrew Schlosser
10-25-2009, 11:36 PM
My bandsaw table is a little higher than elbow height. I can see the stuff without a sore neck and back.
Most of my uses are for wooden parts smaller than 12". However, I am starting to do more ripping on the bandsaw, and think I might want to lower it a few inches.

Josiah Bartlett
10-26-2009, 2:43 AM
I like mine slightly under elbow height so I can see the work well but not have to bend my arms upward while working. This seems to work well for resaw, too. At full resaw height my upper guide is about at chin level. (16" Walker Turner saw)

Phil Phelps
10-26-2009, 8:55 AM
I think arm position is critical. I've stood at a bandsaw/jig saw for thousands of hours. 6-8 hours a day was common. I think most are around the 39-40 inch height, but you need to find the one that's right for you. If you find that it's not comfortable the way it is, either raise the saw or raise yourself.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-26-2009, 10:40 AM
You need to contemplate what it is you will be doing with it.
For close work: make it higher
For resawing: make it lower

For both? Build yourself a little table that can be clamped or bolted on top of the cast iron table that serves to raise the work surface to your comfort level.
You might need to install a set of guides on the inside of your little step table under the work surface.

pat warner
10-26-2009, 4:44 PM
Have seen them from low 30"s to low 40"s.
What's right? Who knows? Depends somewhat on the weight of the work. How much you're balancing (since these tables are way too small).
Ripping, X-cut, metal, plastic wood, ply, just how unwieldly is the stock?
Just as obnoxious (size wise): The drill press table!
But with one advantage. The drill press table and head are height adjustable.
So what then? Test typical band saw operations (going through the motions obviously) at different heights on the drill press table.
The best height for you will avail itself.