PDA

View Full Version : Tundra 4 dr pick up

Tony Falotico
09-25-2004, 5:41 PM
Local dealership has some 04's he says he needs to move. Two we are interested in, both sticker (Factory MSRP) at the same price.

One has some dealer added options, raising the cost by about $1,000. It's a Demo with 6K miles, he is discounting the Dealership MSRP (factory MSRP + options) by $1200. The reasoning for considering this one was because he claimed the sales manager wanted it sold and he would 'cut me the better deal' on the Demo.

The other has no miles and no dealer added options. LOML & I like the color / looks of this one better. He will discount the factory MSRP only $800.
Bottom line, the difference is not that much.

As I've mentioned before we live in a small rural town, so certain choices are sometimes limited. My Question is, does this sound about right (for Toyota) or should I head for a Big City down south and look for a better deal. My gut feeling is that he is doing me no favors and I could do better at a Big City dealership.

Any thoughts and/or comments ??

Tyler Howell
09-25-2004, 6:43 PM
Tony,

The Tundra is bye far best vehicle I have ever owned.
While waiting around for service at the dealer, did a little sticker shopping and I was surprise how little the price had gone up for like features. Toy Auto doesn't flex much in price. If you've done your home work, you can't go wrong.
Enjoy your knew ride and remember this is a gloat.:cool:

Jim Becker
09-25-2004, 7:01 PM
I will not give up my Tundra until it either dies or they bring out a hybrid version! My 2000 only has 40375 miles on it after four years and two months and I expect it will last a long, long time. It's nearly as comfortable as my 300M was, which is noteworthy when you consider it's a comparison between a near-luxury "hot" sedan and a pickup truck. My only wish is that they had the true four door version available when I bought mine...

Unless you really want the so-called "dealer installed options", I'd go with the new vehicle if you like the color better. That said, I didn't buy mine from the dealer I get service from...I bought for the best deal. Make some phone calls!

Tim Morton
09-25-2004, 8:18 PM
that makes 3.....LOVE my Tundra. Not sure if you can follow this link since I'm a member....but tundra solutions is a good site....and the link I am sending you to is specific to pricing. Go to the second one if the first doesn't work.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=82
http://www.tundrasolutions.com

Tony Falotico
09-25-2004, 8:34 PM
Jim, Up till now, we were planning on the Ford F150 four door because it was the only one with a backseat designed for adults. After driving the Tundra, Sorry Ford, no sale here. The Tundra drove like LOML's Buick. My current truck is 21 yrs old, I plan on keeping this one longer. My vehicles are well maintained, oil change and tires rotated & balanced faithfully. Goodyear dealer was amazed at how many miles I had on the last set tires, at first he said I really didn't need to replace them yet.

The only Dealer installed Option that interested us was the bar below the door to step up on ( we used to call 'em Nerf bars). LOML liked them because she is slightly vertically deficient. But that's something I can have the dealer install afterward ($255 to carry out, or $395 installed) , go to a custom shop and have one installed, or buy one (off the internet) and install myself.

My thinking is to tell him if he will discount the new one $1200 we have a deal. If he says no, I'll head south next weekend (assuming we don't have another hurricane) and see what I can find. Is that a reasonable offer?

Tyler, when you really get down to it, the Tundra without discounts is competitive to, (maybe a few bucks less) than the comparable domestic.

Jim Becker
09-25-2004, 8:47 PM
I put a set of Smittybuilt step-bars on my Tunrda and have been very pleased with them...and saved a bundle by installing myself. They should be sorta visible in the picture below, although it's dark down that low in the shot. Note, that the white stuff is not damage...birds like to sit on the mirrors for some reason...:rolleyes: I also did the hitch/receiver myself as my truck was pre-wired but didn't have the "business end" of that arrangement. I also equipped it with a K&N air filter for better breathing. I originally put a roll-top bed cover on, but was not happy with it for durability reasons. The final straw was when it froze open on me due to the drains constantly clogging....replaced it with a Leer cap and have been a happy camper ever since.

The only "extra" I had my dealer deliver was to replace the plastic drop-in bed liner with a sprayed in liner.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-25-2004, 9:29 PM
Tony....we bought a 4-Runner (used - 1 year old, 19,000mi.) and drove it for 16 years. It had 163,000 miles on it and lots of "little" things were starting go bad...ie. wearing out. Only major problems were things I expect to wear in that time and mileage period.....water pump....alternator and I replaced the timing chain at 123,000. My wife drives to Portland, about 300 miles, to see the daughter and grandkids without me often. I finally put my foot down (she didn't want to buy a new vehicle) and we replaced it. Because the local dealership has become in my opinion something I don't want to deal with and SWMBO said "we are not buying at XXXXXXXX motors!", she now is driving a Honda Accord LX V-6. I'd have bought another 4-RUnner in a flash but.....SWMBO.....well...you get the idea. I doubt if you can go wrong buying Toyota. Toyota's in the NW don't get discounted very much. Good luck with your truck hunt!

Tony Falotico
09-25-2004, 9:29 PM
The Demo with miles on it is white like yours. I've always liked white vehicles, they look good, clean up easily, cooler on a hot summer day, and wax up real well.

The new one is Charcoal Gray Metallic, makes it look classy like a fine automobile.

Stefan Antwarg
09-26-2004, 12:27 AM
If you have not been to carbuyingtips.com, then go and read all that. It's a huge read, but if you shop with this knowledge, you will know if your getting a good deal or not.

Stefan

Rich Konopka
09-26-2004, 6:47 PM
I will not give up my Tundra until it either dies or they bring out a hybrid version!
Did I hear Hybrid???? Are they bringing out a Hybrid or am I only Hoping?

Jim Becker
09-26-2004, 7:20 PM
Did I hear Hybrid???? Are they bringing out a Hybrid or am I only Hoping?
We are both "hoping". They have a hybrid Hylander SUV on the table for around Feb 2005, but no news about a pickup at this point. But given our pleasure with the Prius (Dr. SWMBO's ride...), I'd consider a hybrid for any future vehicle. Awesome.

Rich Konopka
09-27-2004, 7:45 AM
We are both "hoping". They have a hybrid Hylander SUV on the table for around Feb 2005, but no news about a pickup at this point. But given our pleasure with the Prius (Dr. SWMBO's ride...), I'd consider a hybrid for any future vehicle. Awesome.
A friend of the family has many patents on Hydorgen Fuel Cells (http://www.utcfuelcells.com/whoweare/gorman.shtm)drives one of the Prius and he was over the house a couple of months ago. It is so quiet. He said that the real cool stuff is coming. Hydrogen fueled cars !! It will be interesting to see if it takes off or will the Oil Companies crush them.

BTW, I heard that the new Lexus RXh (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5941899/)is also coming out. It is built on the Highlander's plastform.

Jim Becker
09-27-2004, 8:17 AM
A friend of the family has many patents on Hydorgen Fuel Cells (http://www.utcfuelcells.com/whoweare/gorman.shtm)drives one of the Prius and he was over the house a couple of months ago. It is so quiet.
Yes, when you're at slow speed, like in city driving, it's like the sound level of an electric golf cart. One has to get used to the engine shutting off all by itself as well as the continuously variable "gear ratio".

He said that the real cool stuff is coming. Hydrogen fueled cars !! It will be interesting to see if it takes off or will the Oil Companies crush them.
They have to overcome the issue of fuel supply. Right now, it costs more in energy to produce the hydrogen than you save using it, not to mention the cost of producing it in money. But someday, it's likely that hydrogen will have an important role. I look forward to that as I feel fuel cells offer the potential for an incredible revolution far beyond transportation as well as environmentally.

BTW, I heard that the new Lexus RXh (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5941899/)is also coming out. It is built on the Highlander's plastform.
Yes, about a month before the Highlander. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. They've been hyping the Lexus quite a bit more due to it being unique as the first "luxury" vehicle with the technology. Toyota's hybrid system is really the creme de le creme right now because it places it's emphasis on the electric side of the equation with gas as the boost above a certain speed; Honda's emphasises the gasoline side with electric as the boost.

But back to the topic at hand...it would be nice for a full-sized pickup with this technology to show up, and I don't mean the minimal efforts that GM is planning that have little impact on "personal energy savings" while boosting fleet numbers for the manufacturer.

Kent Cori
09-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Tony,

Since you are considering a new Tundra, have you tried the Internet new car purchase services? I've used them several times and gotten great deals without leaving the comfort of my own home. I believe Toyota offers a similar service on its own site.

Once you settle on a specific one, you just go and pick it up. This permits a greater choice of colors and options as well as letting you quickly compare prices among various dealers. I've gotten two really good deals this way and all within an hour drive of Gainesville. There are several different sites out there, just do a Google search.