PDA

View Full Version : Rockler/BenchDog ProLift Disappointment

Leo Vogel
10-25-2009, 2:28 PM
This is a disappointing to write about two of my favorite vendors.

I recently purchased a Porter Cable 7518 router and a Bench Dog No. 40-150 ProLift for the router from Rockler for about $650.00

I purchased the combination based upon information provided on the Rockler site (BenchDog manual) and the Bench Dog site. Both sites specifically stated the ProLift No. 40-150 was designed around the PC7518 router and allowed changing router bits by simply raising the bit until the motor protrudes out the top of the router plate. THE PROBLEM IS THE ROUTER WILL NOT PROTRUDE OUT OF THE TOP OF THE LIFT (the BenchDog 40-016, old model, works fine). This means the bottom collet nut won’t quite clear the table surface and makes changing bits almost impossible without removing the insert and using an offset wrench. Why did I buy the lift if I have to do this?

Apparently, about a year ago, Rockler and Bench Dog decided to change the configuration of the lift so that only plastic inserts could be used. When they did this, they changed the size of the hole making it impossible for the PC7518 router motor to fit thru the hole. After experiencing the problem, I search the web and noted that this problem was brought to Bench Dog’s attention almost year ago.

With that said, I really do like the lift. It is built like a tank and is really smooth working. The solution offered to other buyers of this combination was you can send it back for a full refund. I don’t won’t to send it back, because I like the lift, and I have a lift hole in my table that won’t fit anything else. I guess I'm back to my offset wrench.

I’ve got a note into Bench Dog, but I don’t know what they can do. If you are thinking about buying this combination, beware of the problem with the lift. It is sad to spend this kind of money and find out the product has been misrepresented by the vendors.

Anyone else experience this?

Tom Veatch
10-25-2009, 3:58 PM
I can think of two solutions to the problem. A collet extension (http://www.amazon.com/CMT-796-001-00-Router-Collet-Extension/dp/B000P4NQCK)or an Eliminator chuck (http://www.amazon.com/PART-QUICK-CHANGE-ROUTER-CHUCK/dp/B0007OTTJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1256500629&sr=1-1). I have the Eliminator on my table mounted 7518 and I'll fight you if you try to take it away from me.

If you think you'd like a collet extender, PM me. I have an unused one I can make available.

glenn bradley
10-25-2009, 5:06 PM
This means the bottom collet nut won’t quite clear the table surface and makes changing bits almost impossible without removing the insert and using an offset wrench.

That is frustrating. I have been down that road as far as the information gathering effort goes. I spoke on the phone to several tech support folks at various vendors to find a lift that would meet my needs. I found most claimed easy above the table bit changes but, silently included a collet extension or bent wrenches in this statement. Like you, I wanted to change bits from above the table without special do-dads and I wanted a carriage that locked without me having to reach underneath every time I wanted a small adjustment.

I would say based on your experience you should be able to return the purchase if you are not OK with it. Think long and hard or you will end up hating the thing every time it doesn't meet your expectations. I have had that experience with another tool. I finally sent it down the road at a loss; it wasn't worth the sour grapes every time I used it.

I should probably say that in practice, you would have to remove the insert anyway unless the opening happened to be larger than your collet nuts. My collet nuts are 1-3/16" at the points so this would only happen part of the time for me. I run a 5625 in the PRL v1 and the motor itself will not clear the throat (which almost spoiled the deal) but the bottom nut is nearly clear of the surface making using even the bulky cast wrenches Milwaukee supplies still very easy to do.

I do remove the insert when I change bits as I am almost always changing the insert at the same time. I have eleven different inserts and change them baed on whether I want very close clearance for detail work or a good gap for airflow when I am really hogging out.

Vince Shriver
10-25-2009, 5:45 PM
That is frustrating. I have been down that road as far as the information gathering effort goes. I spoke on the phone to several tech support folks at various vendors to find a lift that would meet my needs. I found most claimed easy above the table bit changes but, silently included a collet extension or bent wrenches in this statement. Like you, I wanted to change bits from above the table without special do-dads and I wanted a carriage that locked without me having to reach underneath every time I wanted a small adjustment.

I would say based on your experience you should be able to return the purchase if you are not OK with it. Think long and hard or you will end up hating the thing every time it doesn't meet your expectations. I have had that experience with another tool. I finally sent it down the road at a loss; it wasn't worth the sour grapes every time I used it.

I should probably say that in practice, you would have to remove the insert anyway unless the opening happened to be larger than your collet nuts. My collet nuts are 1-3/16" at the points so this would only happen part of the time for me. I run a 5625 in the PRL v1 and the motor itself will not clear the throat (which almost spoiled the deal) but the bottom nut is nearly clear of the surface making using even the bulky cast wrenches Milwaukee supplies still very easy to do.

I do remove the insert when I change bits as I am almost always changing the insert at the same time. I have eleven different inserts and change them baed on whether I want very close clearance for detail work or a good gap for airflow when I am really hogging out.

As good as Woodpecker products are, I wish they would offer a steel plate so I could use a magnatized fence. As far as I know, Bench Dog is the only manufacturer who produces such an animal. It's a shame when you see what were great products (like the Bench Dog) cheapened down to save a few pennies in mfg cost.

glenn bradley
10-25-2009, 7:55 PM
As good as Woodpecker products are, I wish they would offer a steel plate so I could use a magnatized fence. As far as I know, Bench Dog is the only manufacturer who produces such an animal. It's a shame when you see what were great products (like the Bench Dog) cheapened down to save a few pennies in mfg cost.

A steel (Lee Valley or Quality Grinding) or an iron table (Bench Dog, MLCS, Peachtree) would be great for mag featherboards. I use them on my table saw, bandsaws and am thinking seriously about getting the fence face kit for my Beisemeyer. They are so convenient and I agree, the Bench Dog products I had seen at the shows a few years back are not the products of today :(.

Mike Heidrick
10-25-2009, 8:23 PM
Would an Offset collet wrench work?

Leo Vogel
10-25-2009, 8:28 PM
Tom - the Eliminator RC Quick Chuck looks like the way to go. I tried to find the overall length of the chuck but could not find the dimensions. I need to gain about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to be able to get it to work. Do you have the overall length of the chuck? Thanks

Leo Vogel
10-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Mike - yes, that is probably what I will have to do. I will have to buy a larger insert to be able to get the wrench inside.

Tom Veatch
10-26-2009, 2:10 PM
Tom - the Eliminator RC Quick Chuck looks like the way to go. I tried to find the overall length of the chuck but could not find the dimensions. I need to gain about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to be able to get it to work. Do you have the overall length of the chuck? Thanks

Leo, here's a couple of pictures that display the difference in height between the standard chuck and the Eliminator in my installation. These were taken at the maximum elevation of the lift:

In the picture of the Eliminator, you can see the cap screw that is used to tighten the bit is above the table top.

Bruce Page
10-26-2009, 3:12 PM
Leo, I don’t know the differences between the older version ProLift and the Rockler version. I have the older version (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68786) that allows my 7518 to raise through the throat opening. Would it be possible to have your plate machined (bored out) and still use the different inserts? If so, it would be relatively inexpensive or you might even be able to find some Creeker willing to do it for you.:cool:

Leo Vogel
10-26-2009, 7:52 PM
Tom - thank you for taking the time to get the pictures. I really like the look of the Eliminator and it should work with the lift.

Bruce - that may be a solution, thanks.

Just for information, I sent Bench Dog and Rockler a note, and no reply from either one today. Makes me wonder how important the customer is to them.

Jeff Monson
10-26-2009, 8:06 PM
Leo, I have a bench dog lift and a 7518 router I wasnt aware of 2 different models, I can change my bits above the plate but I must remove my metal insert (which is kind of a pain) so do I have an older model??

Also do they make different inserts for the bench dog lift? mine only came with 1 size and it has a fairly large hole.

Leo Vogel
10-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Jeff - yes, the metal insert model is the old model and the better model due to the insert situation. I'm sure your router protrudes thru the plate for bit changes. Wish I knew that before I made the purchase.

Jeff Monson
10-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Leo, I'd be really bummed if I couldnt change the bit above the table, that is one of the major factors that led me to buying the benchdog. I personally would return it and shop for an older model, ck with tool zone that is where I got mine and it was not that long ago. Also my local Acme electric store in Fargo ND has a bench dog lift and I know it is an old model as it has been on their shelf for over a year and a half.