PDA

View Full Version : A New Beginning

Ken Glass
10-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Hey Gang,
It seems that the demand for some of my turnings has increased, which is a good thing, but some logistical problems have arisen. My Artist daughter is beginning to broker some of my Wine Stoppers, HF's and Bowls in some galleries she shows in. That's the good part. The problem is she needs a business name and card to do so. The card is not a problem, I have PrintMaster 18 and Word to do the cards with. I can superimpose some turnings to jazz it up with, but the name is the problem. Most of the obvious names like: Ken's Turnings, Ken Glass Woodturnings, or Turning's by Ken Glass, just don't seem to work for me. I want to design the card around the business name. I plan to register the name to prevent any problems, so it is rather important. This may not be the place to ask but we are a creative group, so what do you think? I don't want to seem presumptuous but suggestions from anyone would be great.

Here is quick picture of a few Stoppers I recently did. The three on the right are single and double Celtic Knots with Walnut and Maple.

Gary Herrmann
10-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Good luck on the venture, Ken. Beautiful stoppers.

For some reason, I like Glass Turnings.

Dave Halter
10-25-2009, 12:45 PM
How about "Smooth as Glass Woodworks". That way your not limited by just turnings if you happen to make a few other things.

Dave

John Beaver
10-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Here's my take: from dealing with Ad agencies for many years.

As an individual, and especially one who is building a reputation based on his personal work, you want the clients to remember you, and not some random name. Additionally with your name on it there is a better perception that it is hand made by you, and not mass produced by some laborer somewhere (ie. china).

As clever as something like "GlassWorks" could be, I think it will ad more value to go with the "boring" and use your name.

Steve Schlumpf
10-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Ken - great looking stoppers! Hope you are able to get into all the galleries!

My simple name suggestion: Glass Woods

As mentioned, the name does not limit you to any particular product and the supposed visual clash of the two materials should help to make the name a little more memorable.

Barry Elder
10-25-2009, 1:31 PM
Jazz up the pictures and use something like Glass Artistic Designs.

gary Zimmel
10-25-2009, 2:31 PM
"Turnings with a Touch of Class"

Visit our website @ www.kenglass.com

Mike Svoma
10-25-2009, 8:45 PM
A spin on Gary's suggestion......."A Touch of Glass" Woodworks

Mike

Jeff Nicol
10-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Here are some that work that can be switched around.

Turned with Class by Glass

Glass turned with Class

Spun by Glass with class

A touch of Glass

And I could go on and on!

Such a mind full of goo I have!!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
10-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Beautiful bottle stoppers Ken. I would go with "Ken Glass Woodturnings." I would keep your name in it even if it sounds boring. People will associate the turnings with a name.

Aaron Wingert
10-26-2009, 9:10 AM
Nice stoppers!

I think I'd be a little cautious considering your last name is Glass. Someone that may be looking online for a wood stopper may see a name as simple as Glass Turnings or Glass Stoppers (etc) as a product description and not a name...I'd think it was a glass artisan of some sort. I believe I'd be sure to incorporate the words "wordturning" or "woodworks" or something that really implies wood and not glass.

Maybe something like KG Woodturning, KG Woodworks, KG bottle stoppers?

Jeff Nicol
10-26-2009, 11:57 AM
I think most people can see that it is wood when you are a turner. On the card would be your catch phrase, like mine The "WOODEN NICOL" and then it would say custom wood turnings or whatever you want it to say. That would explain the whole thing. You still put your name and e-mail, PH# etc on the card, and if there are some nice pictures of your work in the background it pretty much says it all. I think as long as you have your surname (GLASS) in the title it is easier to get a tax # and registering it. Other wise you have to do a search to find out who has your name idea to see if it is already used.

So put whatever on the card as long as you are happy and it gets you more customers. Because a card of any type is better than none at all!

Jeff

Brett Baldwin
10-26-2009, 2:06 PM
Another thought....

Wood by Glass

Matt Murphy
10-27-2009, 6:50 AM
Can't wait to get my lathe going. I have a few of these I need to make.