PDA

View Full Version : Unique Awards

Belinda Barfield
10-25-2009, 11:00 AM
I can't take credit for anything but the bases, the engraving, and assembling the components (not much of a contribution). I thought some of you might be interested in seeing something a little different in awards. These were awarded Thursday night by the Creative Coast Alliance at their Innovation Awards reception. Recycled auto parts, a creative metal worker, scrap granite - all local businesses. One of a kind to say the least!

Frank Corker
10-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Really nice. Different for sure and more desireable as a result. Look great on their stands. I like them.

Mike Null
10-25-2009, 11:28 AM
I like them too. Neat idea.

Dee Gallo
10-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I like them too. Probably pretty meaningful to the recipients, but nice sculptural effect to the rest of us!

:) dee

Vic Harris
10-25-2009, 8:27 PM
Thinking out of the box, I like it

Dave Johnson29
10-26-2009, 10:26 AM
I can't take credit for anything but the bases, the engraving, and assembling the components

I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me your contribution is the best part of them. :) They still look like scrap auto parts to me.

I have two references...
The Emperor has no clothes
Pablo Picasso

My case rests.

Doug Griffith
10-26-2009, 11:50 AM
I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me your contribution is the best part of them. :) They still look like scrap auto parts to me.

I have two references...
The Emperor has no clothes
Pablo Picasso

My case rests.

I thought I was the only one with that opinion.

Dave Johnson29
10-26-2009, 12:28 PM
I thought I was the only one with that opinion.

:D:D We are not alone! Doowwww, dee, doowww deee <-- That's supposed to be Twilight Zone music. :)

Belinda Barfield
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks all.

LOL . . . Dave & Doug, all I can say is that the customer loved the finished product, therefore I loved the finished product! :) Recycled auto parts and granite look like money to me. :D

Feel free to critique, y'all. As I said, I'm only responsible for the bases.

Stuart Orrell
10-26-2009, 3:20 PM
Hi Belinda,

Thanks for sharing. I think these "OUT OF THE BOX" things are great and always bring out a few smiles and appreciation of their unique qualities.

Had a similar one last year......not so formal though.....I think the recipient had a few problems with his Engine. Please excuse the poor photo.

The base was from some old trophy....Don't know the material....originally thought it was marble but on inspection the material looked man made...could be wrong. Anyway, it came out brilliant white when engraved and everyone who saw it definitely stopped to look closer......So, out of the box? Yes....and it got a lot of interest......

Belinda Barfield
10-26-2009, 3:56 PM
Thank you for sharing Stuart. I'm glad I'm the one who didn't deserve that award!

It was fun to do something a little different for a change. The customer tells me they will be back soon so I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Dave Johnson29
10-26-2009, 4:12 PM
I think the recipient had a few problems with his Engine.

Ahhh Stuart,

That's an entirely different award. That is for meritorious service for pressing on when prudence should have tempered one's enthusiasm. That is a thing of beauty to a gear-head.

The last connecting rod I broke cost me $1700 for a new one, that was just the Titanium rod. Damned Italian racing engines. :D:D:D I definitely deserved the quite similar award. My engine builder presented it to me at the next driver's meeting, for maximum embarrassment.

I have had several of those in my motor racing exploits. :o:o

Dan Hintz
10-26-2009, 8:49 PM
It always starts with a light tap tap tap... and is followed shortly by WHACK WHACK WHACK BOOOOM!

Doug Griffith
10-26-2009, 10:45 PM
It always starts with a light tap tap tap... and is followed shortly by WHACK WHACK WHACK BOOOOM!

In between those sounds is a quick stare at the oil pressure gauge while thinking of all the other problems you hope it could be.

Bill Cunningham
10-29-2009, 9:41 PM
Ahhh the unforgettable $ound of a piston changing hole$ can keep you poor for quite a while :eek: