PDA

View Full Version : How to get that "Plastic" look?

mickey cassiba
10-25-2009, 10:46 AM
I've searched the theads and not found one close enough to my situation so here comes a "dumb" question. Background first.
I've got a mobile home built in the early sixty's, that is paneled with some really beautiful Ash faced ply. I've been commissioned by the boss(aka SWMBO) to buld a cabinet wall along one side of a long room ending with a corner desk at one end. She's not crazy about the wood grain look, and wants a more modern glossy finish, closest description I can think of is HG enamel. I can get paint grade china birch pretty reasonably priced at work, I also have MDF available, but it's a little pricier. Face frame will be poplar as will doors and drawer fronts. Planning on no visible hardware(concealed hinges, and finger pull drawers) to keep the slick motif.
Finally the question.
What finish can I use to get the slick plastic look she wants? Dust is a big problem in my region so it will have to be pretty resistant to scuffing when cleaned, moisture resistance is a must as a good part of the top is in front of a window and will have potted plants on it. I don't have access to a spray rig, so it will have to be brush, roller or wipe on.
It will be colored. though the color has not been decided on yet
I have done no finish work since the early seventies, when torch an urethane was big,
Suggestions?
Mickey

Jim Becker
10-26-2009, 9:59 PM
If you want the "plastic" look...use polyurethane varnish in "satin" sheen. :) (Be sure to stir it well so it has an even sheen)

If you want something thicker with the "plastic" look...use an epoxy resin finish.

Jamie Buxton
10-26-2009, 10:41 PM
"Colored finish"...So you mean paint. :) Alkyd enamel, brushed, might fit your needs. Use a fine-grained wood underneath it, so the pores don't telegraph through the paint. MDF doesn't have pores to telegraph through, but it is really easy to ding the corners of doors unless you edgeband it. Sherwin Williams calls theirs Proclassic. Benjamin Moore calls theirs Impervo.

Scott Holmes
10-27-2009, 12:21 AM
I second the oil based Alkyd paint in gloss. No top coat needed.

Thin it a bit with mineral spirits to give it time to flow out.

Since it sounds like a realitively large surface I would roll it on with a 1/4" foam roller then tip it off with a quality brush to remove all the bubbles.

phil harold
10-27-2009, 7:34 AM
plastic look?

formica...

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-28-2009, 6:10 PM
two component urethane or epoxy will give you that built up plastic look.