PDA

View Full Version : How do you fill in a knot in hard maple?

dennis thompson
10-25-2009, 9:39 AM
I just finished a cutting board of hard maple & walnut. I have enough wood left over to make another (as usual my estimate of the wood I'd need was way off). The hard maple has a big, porous knot right in the middle of it, I've tried to figure out how to cut around it but it's placed so I can't. Is there anything (epoxy?) I can use to fill in and harden the knot?
Thanks
Dennis

Steve Rowe
10-25-2009, 9:50 AM
Yes - use the two part clear epoxy. I like the 30 minute setting version which gives you more time to work it. You can mix with sawdust or dyes to color it.
Steve

dennis thompson
10-25-2009, 9:53 AM
Steve
Can you give me a brand name for the two part epoxy?
Thanks Dennis

Brian Penning
10-25-2009, 9:57 AM
West System is pretty well considered the best.

Keith Christopher
10-25-2009, 10:06 AM
I just finished a cutting board of hard maple & walnut. I have enough wood left over to make another (as usual my estimate of the wood I'd need was way off). The hard maple has a big, porous knot right in the middle of it, I've tried to figure out how to cut around it but it's placed so I can't. Is there anything (epoxy?) I can use to fill in and harden the knot?
Thanks
Dennis

You sure you want a knot and epoxy on a cutting board ?

dennis thompson
10-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Keith
I guess I don't want a knot on a cutting board ,I'm just asking for opinions on the idea of filling the knot with the hope that I can use what is, for the most part, a very nice piece of wood . Other than looks do you feel there is a problem with epoxy on a cutting board? To be honest I have no problem with the look of a knot, in fact I kind of like it, as long as the function of the board is not compromised.
Dennis

Jeff Sudmeier
10-26-2009, 10:38 AM
I use epoxy to fill knots in other projects. The problem that would come to mind in a cutting board is whether the finish difference would show up or not.

If it is a dark not, color your epoxy with black ink... blends better.

Brad Wood
10-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I just finished using System Three's T-88 product, available from Rockler. I've heard that West systems is highly regarded, but it seemed expensive and there were too many choices. The T-88 worked well, has an open time of 30 minutes. It sands well the next day.

I think, for a cutting board, I would only consider using epoxy if it were going to be on only one side... that way the "fixed" section can be on the bottom.

greg leftwich
10-26-2009, 11:15 AM
system three works great they make colorants also and between the black and brown you can mix any shade you need it is virturally invisible once you apply the finish.

Paul Steiner
10-26-2009, 12:58 PM
I would put a 1/4" dutchman over the knot. A bowtie or diamond would add character to a cutting board.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-26-2009, 4:16 PM
Do a football patch or a diamond patch.
I't's dun purdy much perzakly like you'd lay a Dovetail key in